1913 Eterna.... in need of some tlc
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 1913 Eterna.... in need of some tlc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1913 Eterna.... in need of some tlc

Hello all,

Finally in our new house... boxes out of storage and some sort of normality is coming back to my life.....

I did have a few casualties, notably, one of my Borgels left my possession - but it went to a perfect new custodian! However, over the passed year I did dip my toe in the bay every now and then.... 1 new borgel and many Eterna later, I thought I would start with this one.

I dont have great pics and the watch does need some work/cleaning... not unpacked everything yet. I picked this up in a job lot and will sell the other watches to make this watch free.

With a love of Eterna and early wrist watches, this was too much for me to pass on, as its not easy to find Eterna's from this period. There was no clear info in the listing as to its age, but I contacted Eterna with both the case and movement number, along with a few pics... I was told:

Case No: 18665062 Movement No: 913708

Reference: -

Movement: Cal. 13’’’ – 87

Year: 1913

This was a lot earlier than expected and I have not found any reference to their 13 Ligne (87 cal).... not that I have had much time to do some research. As mentioned in another thread, there are basic tables that can be used to date Eterna serial number... I gave this as an example.

The earlier part of that table (seen below) does appear to conflict with Eterna's records when looking at my watch.

It may be possible (speculation) that the 13''' movement was produced earlier and cased in 1913.... I dont know. Either way, Eterna appeared to have a match for the movement and case together... its an interesting (to me) Eterna....

If anyone has any info, It would be appreciated.

Marc
    Mirius, joeuk, Charon and 10 others like this.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Re: 1913 Eterna.... in need of some tlc

Nice watch again and good luck with your new home Marc.You must have missed your watches, can imagine the joy now.

The serial numbers table is interestingly even, almost each decade has flat manufacture volumes through the years,flat amount.Is that an official published table or collectors' gathered approximate data? From 1900-1910 45K per annum,to 1917 50K,all the way to 1932 40K,to 1945 50K,and then 70 and 100K per annum. Given the economic recession in late '20s, 40K is really a lot of manufacture for consecutive years. I understand Eterna's history and potential back then,but the table doesn't look bound to the facts on ground,IMO.I don't have an alternative offer though, but agree it looks like pre-war or inter-war era.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

No info to add but that is one very fine watch. Congratulations!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi,
    Great watch. Never knew Eterna was so helpful . I see there is an [email protected] on their website. Is that how you contact them?
    Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Emre View Post
    Nice watch again and good luck with your new home Marc.You must have missed your watches, can imagine the joy now.

The serial numbers table is interestingly even, almost each decade has flat manufacture volumes through the years,flat amount.Is that an official published table or collectors' gathered approximate data? From 1900-1910 45K per annum,to 1917 50K,all the way to 1932 40K,to 1945 50K,and then 70 and 100K per annum. Given the economic recession in late '20s, 40K is really a lot of manufacture for consecutive years. I understand Eterna's history and potential back then,but the table doesn't look bound to the facts on ground,IMO.I don't have an alternative offer though, but agree it looks like pre-war or inter-war era.
    Hi Emre,

I should have stated, this is a rough guide.... You need to contact Eterna for accurate dating.... I have always (minus the above watch) found that the above table is within a couple of years either way.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    No info to add but that is one very fine watch. Congratulations!
    Thanks Mirius....

Its certainly got potential!

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Quote Originally Posted by James A View Post
    Hi,
    Great watch. Never knew Eterna was so helpful . I see there is an [email protected] on their website. Is that how you contact them?
    Regards,
    Hi James,

You can go through their website... I have also got a response. I have a few other contacts which have been very helpful over the years (some of my other Eterna threads show this). I have even received Christmas cards from them (proper written out cards) all the way from Switzerland - which is a nice touch!
    James A likes this.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

RTB

Nice :)
    If you haven't been to Schild-Eterna yet, prepare to spend some time in there ;) There's also a blue bar at the bottom of one of the pages that you click on for serial number chart etc.

Mikrolisk puts that movement number to approx. 1895
    James A likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RTB View Post
    Nice :)
    There's also a blue bar at the bottom of one of the pages that you click on for serial number chart etc.
    Thanks... thats where I have taken the above charts from

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Extremely good watch, sparcster!
    There are several Eterna ads from 1914-1918 here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/ver...ml#post7999998
    RTB and Sparcster like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information