1913 Longines pocket watch with unique artwork?
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Anthony Robledo
  • 2 Post By Shum
  • 2 Post By artb
  • 1 Post By artb

Thread: 1913 Longines pocket watch with unique artwork?

1913 Longines pocket watch with unique artwork?

I recently inherited a pocket and am curious to know more about it. I looked up the serial number, 3042695, at Vintage Watches - Collect...Identify...Discuss and it says approximately 1913. Here are some pics: Longines gold pocketwatch circa 1913 - Imgur
    What I am really interested in is what the significance of the artwork on the exterior is. I have not seen anything quite like it when looking at similar watches on the web. Do all pocket watches come with custom artwork or is this something unique? Also, how do I find out the jewel count? Thanks.
    RTB and Sdasurrey like this.

Re: 1913 Longines pocket watch with unique artwork?

Hi Anthony,

Here is a similar movement to yours that is 15 jewels.However yours might be 16, you can see in your image that perhaps the watchmakers at Cuervo y Sobrinos added an extra jewel in the centre. Regarding the significance of the art work on the case I would only suggest it is there as beautification but others may know more.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Robledo View Post
    I recently inherited a pocket and am curious to know more about it. I looked up the serial number, 3042695, at Vintage Watches - Collect...Identify...Discuss and it says approximately 1913. Here are some pics: Longines gold pocketwatch circa 1913 - Imgur
    What I am really interested in is what the significance of the artwork on the exterior is. I have not seen anything quite like it when looking at similar watches on the web. Do all pocket watches come with custom artwork or is this something unique? Also, how do I find out the jewel count? Thanks.
    Hi - not sure this will help with the artwork description, but Longines has one of the best industry responses on sending back info on their vintage watches - if you send a note through their customer service for I believe 'heritage questions' they respond within 24 hours usually - the form asks for a serial number and pics of hallmarks and movements etc. I have about 6 vintage Longines I have done this for - good luck, Scott

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalk
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by James A View Post
    Hi Anthony,

Here is a similar movement to yours that is 15 jewels.However yours might be 16, you can see in your image that perhaps the watchmakers at Cuervo y Sobrinos added an extra jewel in the centre. Regarding the significance of the art work on the case I would only suggest it is there as beautification but others may know more.

Regards,
    Jeweled to center or 2nd wheel, probably 17 jewels
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Robledo View Post
    The case is decorated in a style termed 'REPOUSSE', it is a high relief decoration formed by hammerring the reverse of a surface to form a scene or a pattern.

Its nicely done, takes a lot of time and expertise, and hence added cost.
    It separated the basic from the special.

Regards
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post
    The case is decorated in a style termed 'REPOUSSE', it is a high relief decoration formed by hammerring the reverse of a surface to form a scene or a pattern.

Its nicely done, takes a lot of time and expertise, and hence added cost.
    It separated the basic from the special.

Regards
    adam
    I don't think so as there are no marks on the inside of the outer case so I think it's machined from the outside but what a job.
    radger and eri231 like this.

A fine case in the period of fine high relief hand carving of similar style American cases. Commonly hand carving would be assisted with a larger pattern guide for hand operated pantograph for duplicates of patterns as on this one and for more cases. Uncommon is casting of high relief as on a similar age and quality Zenith shown here. artb

Name:  IMG_1042a.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  873.6 KB
    SilkeN and Shum like this.

I prefer good gold cased p.w. as collectibles. Inherent investment value and generally better condition examples. For convenience repeating good photos of the questioned fine Longines here which is a very good example of fine case work. The engraving is unusually deep which also means the case material needs to be thick thus heavier than usual. It is also a good example of the machine assisted hand carving I believe was first done in the U.S. Include also here an extreme example of a hand carved case by Gruen from before 1920. A small pendant watch needing to be thick and heavy for this unusual hand work. Gruen casemakers in Ohio did very fine work. artb

Name:  1372444843a.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  293.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; February 9th, 2015 at 12:50.
    eri231 likes this.

Thread Information