1914 Elgin Trench Watch Details...
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 1914 Elgin Trench Watch Details...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hi - I recently acquired this 1914 Elgin Trench Watch which was briefly discussed in another thread, so thought I would add some details:

- Large size '6' 38 mm case excluding the crown
    - 'Silverode' Philadelphia Watch Case
    - Size '6' shrapnel guard by S. Glagovsky of Haverhill, Massachusetts
    - 7 jewel Movement serial number 18238477

This watch is an example of a vintage watch, whatever it looked like originally (which probably didn't work) which has been Completely Refurbished - personally, of the vintage watches I have acquired recently, this is the only one that has been refurbished like this.

Increasingly, I can see the real 'vintage' benefit and point of acquiring watches that have good patina, vintage 'style' and have not been refurbished or adapted, but I thought this was a good example of a US Trench that was larger and in really good shape, to wear not every day but more often than that.

In accuracy tests, it was slow by less than a second over 24 hours, so it's very accurate. S
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Sdasurrey; April 21st, 2014 at 10:13.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

Re: 1914 Elgin Trench Watch Details...

Very nice. The 6 sized early wrist watches are hard to come by...Most using American movements were either 0s or 3/0s. The dial is porcelain, so it would not develop patina like a metal dial. The radium-based luminous paint has been removed...

I think it looks good...and it certainly runs well...Congrats.
    Sdasurrey likes this.

Thanks Paleotime, it's taken me a little getting used to the smaller size of vintage watches, so when I had the chance to get this and a Longines Trench that was also 38 mm I grabbed them. But the more I wear the 33-35 mm round style vintage watches I have acquired the more I have enjoyed the smaller sizes. I think my Wife is also getting used the the smaller sizes as she has stopped calling them ''Women's Watches' !! Cheers, S

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sdasurrey; April 21st, 2014 at 16:50.
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi
    As I have indicated before, I don't believe Elgin were selling many wristwatches in 1914. They were trying and we have some adverts from 1913.
    But even by 1916 Elgin were fighting the establishment to convince men to waer a wristwatch.

The movement is surely 1914 but my feeling these were pocket watch movement cased as wristwatches more circa 1916. Hence the larger size 6 movement

That is just my opinion based on my research.

Regards
    Adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thanks Adam, that's fine, you're the expert - maybe I can call it '1914/1916' ? I can ask Stan to clarify the case year, Cheers, S

Last edited by Sdasurrey; April 21st, 2014 at 17:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Sdasurrey View Post
    Thanks Adam, that's fine, you're the expert - maybe I can call it '1914/1916' ? Cheers, S

Hi
    Nope not the expert, but my opinion.
    If it was my watch, I would tell people it has a movement from 1914, but I suspect it became a wristwatch in 1916/17.
    I mean to put a shrapnel guard on it, puts it WWI which for Americans was 1917??

Anyway enjoy it, its timekeeping is remarkable for sure
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

Adam, you know a boatload more than I do - that's for sure - I still love that Madras and Rangoon watch you have. In London on Saturday I saw an 18k 'late teens' Tiffany trench, red '12' by West End that had a pristine dial....

Last edited by Sdasurrey; April 21st, 2014 at 17:53.

Adam, you know a boatload more than I do - that's for sure - I still love that Madras and Rangoon watch you have. In London on Saturday I saw an 18k 'late teens' Tiffany trench, red '12' by West End that had a pristine dial....

LOL - that does not make me an expert, not by a long way.

The P. ORR & SONS was a great buy, I love it.
    A Tiffany piece is always well sought after so if you can get one at a decent price and West End movement is good - grab it!!!

and
    Adam

£1200 before negotiating...a guy on portobello on the sidewalk so no rent but they pay £150 each Saturday for their permit For their space I heard...

£1200 before negotiating...a guy on portobello on the sidewalk so no rent but they pay £150 each Saturday for their permit For their space I heard...

I think you could get it for 700 to 800 pounds .
    ????

and
    Adam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information