1914 Rolex Trench Watch Restoration NEED ADVICE PLEASE
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: 1914 Rolex Trench Watch Restoration NEED ADVICE PLEASE

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

1914 Rolex Trench Watch Restoration NEED ADVICE PLEASE

I need to decide how to proceed with repair of my client's watch so it can be sold. It is a Rebberg movement Rolex Canadian Army silver hinged case last serviced in 1994 and running until recently. I sent it to Classic Watch Repair in Hong Kong due to low prices and great reviews here. However he has been hard to communicate with - has had it for 5 months - restored the dial & replaced the stem. Still needs parts to repair movement which only keeps time when on the flip side as well as repair the hinge. He is having trouble finding parts he says. My client is getting very anxious. Shall I just take it back and sell it as is (he is only charging me $150 + shipping), or keep waiting, or send it somewhere else?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: 1914 Rolex Trench Watch Restoration NEED ADVICE PLEASE

Hi,

Do You have photos of its current condition?
    busmatt likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

If you want a name of an exceptional repairer in East Coast USA - PM me

That said, the watch is not worth a fortune, and if not Rolex movement even less

Regards
    A
    busmatt likes this.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I know it's not worth a "fortune", whatever that may be, It is a Rolex movement - Rebberg I was told. The fact that is kept time accurately for nearly 100 years says a lot for that.

Quote Originally Posted by cherannoneil View Post
    I know it's not worth a "fortune", whatever that may be, It is a Rolex movement - Rebberg I was told. The fact that is kept time accurately for nearly 100 years says a lot for that.
    Correct
    Basically, its worth in weight in gold
    Adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    Adam

No I do not. It is in Hong Kong with Michael Young of CLASSIC WATCHES. He has finished restoring the dial and replaced the stem. Apparently he is stuck at this point, according to him, for lack of parts needed to repair the movement. I am unfamiliar (and concerned) with how much time it might take for this, since it has already been 5 months.

28A

This is what i hate about the early Rolex trench watches. They might be branded Rolex, but they aren't any better or different than any other 15 jewel trench watch movement. There's literally nothing Rolex about it really, considering Wilsdorf bought the movements from someone else and just branded them.
    busmatt and Wibbs like this.
    Nick.

Divers - June 1977 Seiko 6309-7040 Quartz Hybrid | March 1978 Seiko 7548-700H (Orange Dial) in a 6309-7040 case | February 1972 Seiko 6105-8110 | Seiko 7548 "Tuna" TST | October 1985 Seiko H558-5000 "Arnie" | Scurfa Stainless Steel.

Chronographs - July 1972 Seiko 6139-6005 (True Pogue).

Quote Originally Posted by 28A View Post
    This is what i hate about the early Rolex trench watches. They might be branded Rolex, but they aren't any better or different than any other 15 jewel trench watch movement. There's literally nothing Rolex about it really, considering Wilsdorf bought the movements from someone else and just branded them.
    sorry Nick, not correct.

Wilsdorf bought his movements from Aegler, to which Rolex had a stake in as Aegler had a stake in Rolex (from memory 25%).
    Rolex always took his movements from Aegler and later bought out and owned the whole company.

Many, Many Aegler (Rolex) movements were 'observatory' certified - that was a major action of Wilsdorf to receive 'observatory' certifications for all his watches.

He strove and achieved perfection, long before others cared
    adam

and
    Adam

28A

Hmm okay. Let me ask this though.

1. If they were of chronometer / observatory standard, did they have to be explicitly stated so on the dial or movement?
    2. Even though Rolex had a foot in the door with Aegler, they were still purchasing / obtaining movements from someone else which would make them no different to any other ebauche of the time, correct?
    3. Even if they were chronometer / observatory standard at the time, 100 years later they would certainly be no different to any basic 15 jewel trench watch.. right?
    4. While they may have been special movements at the time, would you say there is anything out of the ordinary or outstanding about them today?

I just look at it now and the only difference between that and the endless supply of other branded trench watch movements is the Rolex on the barrel wheels. I'm curious what you think of my questions though.
    bobbee and Wibbs like this.
    Nick.

Divers - June 1977 Seiko 6309-7040 Quartz Hybrid | March 1978 Seiko 7548-700H (Orange Dial) in a 6309-7040 case | February 1972 Seiko 6105-8110 | Seiko 7548 "Tuna" TST | October 1985 Seiko H558-5000 "Arnie" | Scurfa Stainless Steel.

Chronographs - July 1972 Seiko 6139-6005 (True Pogue).

Nick
    Believe as you want.
    Sorry
    adam

and
    Adam

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information