1916 Omega? Please help a newbie identify

Thread: 1916 Omega? Please help a newbie identify

1916 Omega? Please help a newbie identify

Hi,

Could someone please lend me a hand and help me to identify this watch and let me know if it's authentic?

Is this an authentic omega case, movement, and dial?

Any insight appreciated!

Banned

Re: 1916 Omega? Please help a newbie identify

There are some Omega parts - but it's not original. It's a pocket watch from 1913 that's been converted to a wristwatch. The movement is a 17''' L7-16p.

Thanks for the info. What does that mean for the value of the watch? Was it converted to a watch by Omega? How about the case? Does it look authentic?

Thanks again, ulackfocus.

D.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Im going to guess that this watch is being sold from the Ukraine or eastern europe and if so-you can almost guarantee the skeletonized dial was done by a modern artisan and the fine print on the ebay add should say as much. As for authenticity? Its Omega that been heavily modified. Some people obviously like them as these sellers have decent feedback and sell these skeleton Omegas for a good price. But the vintage watch collector interested in true authenticity would most likely not touch one of these unless it dropped into their laps. Not saying there is no plaesure in owning-Just not where the vintage affcionado tends to go
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

pej

Typical Ukrainian job. They are recently made out of old pocket watch movements.
    The problem with these is that the quality isn't that great. The markers are often just glued in place and the case materials are soft (in your case just the lugs as its the pocket watch case with soldered on lugs).
    Wearing them should be fine if you're not very active with your arm movements. These watches don't have shock protection and a very heavy balance causing them to break easily.

I bought one myself (a girard perregaux) a while back, I'm currently working on it to improve the quality. The Ukranians mainly do a great job at ingraving these but many other things are done quite poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by pej View Post
    The Ukranians mainly do a great job at ingraving these but many other things are done quite poorly.
    That my experience as well. Nice dials-movement came soaked with wd-40. But in m case the movmnt was a 'moscow state watch co' which means it was an early 20thC american pocket watch made in a re-tooled russian factory. the things-as one comes to expect with soviet era design-is built like a tank. it lumbers along like a wall clock but basically does its job to within a few minutes each day it runs. I also find it odd that ALL the Omega movments in these old ukrainina jobs have no serial number. It makes me wonder if they reassembled mvmnts out of old parts stock or ....what?
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Quote Originally Posted by DaBaeker View Post
    I also find it odd that ALL the Omega movments in these old ukrainina jobs have no serial number. It makes me wonder if they reassembled mvmnts out of old parts stock or ....what?
    Well, pre 1910-15 or thereabouts (I can't quite remember the date) the serial number was only under the dial. Of course that has been obliterated in this one.

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    Well, pre 1910-15 or thereabouts (I can't quite remember the date) the serial number was only under the dial. Of course that has been obliterated in this one.
    You actually can see the serial number beneath the dial on this one, however it's not apparent from the photo.

Are there any authentic vintage skeletal watches similar to this one? I really like the style, but I also want something authentic.

Did any company make attractive oversized wristwatches in the 20s-40s? any skeletal ones? Maybe IWC?

pej

I know Audemars Piguet made some - bring big bucks tho!

A pic of the Girard Perregaux I got (not sure what cal. movement btw) - will be changing it around a bit.
    The engraving is awesome, but many other things aren't and will be redone by me. :)
    Last edited by pej; December 23rd, 2010 at 02:37.

Thread Information