1917 Longines 'Campaign' back up and running!
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 1917 Longines 'Campaign' back up and running!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1917 Longines 'Campaign' back up and running!

Hi Chaps,

just showing off another wire lug wrist watch which has been put back into use.... it follows this thread: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/how...sh-664255.html

as you can see, the dial was chipped, missing stem/crown, case nicely aged, but dirty and the wrong hands - IMO.

looked like this!

As I had shown in the previous thread, the watch sold by Wappin & Webb was marketed as a watch for the military man.... which was sold to the general public aswell!

On the previous thread, I had also shown a picture of the watch taken from this site: WRISTLETS

I later realised I had the original pic in my 'Military Timepeices 1880-1990' book....

I have now contacted the chaps at Longines... and they provided the following info...

The serial number 3’320’138 identifies a wristwatch in Silver.
    It is fitted with a Longines manufacture caliber 13.34 that was first produced in 1910.
    It was invoiced to Messrs.’ Baume, who were for many years our agent for the UK, on the 20.07.1917.

Which relates to the london import marks on the case - marked 'a' for 1916/17. along with the mark AB for 'Arthur Baume' Managing Director of Baume & Co... with the movement also stamped B&Co (Baume & Co).

The watch has been serviced, repair to the dial and relumed, new stem/crown.... hands remain the same.... could not find a pair to fit! The case has been 'dusted off' but not polished.... its been cleaned up from handling!

Quite happy with this one!!!
    bubba48, john87300 and mike184 like this.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Re: 1917 Longines 'Campaign' back up and running!

To quote "Quite happy with this one!!!"

If it was mine I'd be over the moon!

As it's not I'm sick as a parrot, green with envy, and whatever other cliché fits the bill

If you and folk like Trim don't stop posting watches like this then soon I shall be forced to sell all my watches and devote my time to collecting empty wine bottles after converting them from full ones

I love the fact that yet another piece of history has been saved, very well done indeed
    John
    Watch Website: www.chambresdebelair.com/watches.html last update 07/11/2012

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Very nice!

I love that ad by the way. Not only does it show unlumed hands but it shows a combination of hands which I've often suspected as being original, even if it appears to be a mix of two different types - something similar to this.

Name:  6757220037_ea0c2e1bb9.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  147.6 KB
    Last edited by Mirius; June 5th, 2012 at 16:27.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    Very nice!

I love that ad by the way. Not only does it show unlumed hands but it shows a combination of hands which I've often suspected as being original, even if it appears to be a mix of two different types
    Hi Mirius....

do you mean the hand drawing of a watch? Which is incorrect in having a 'tube' stem and pin set? Many 'adverts' from this era are close representations of the watches they are advertising. I would also say the hands on the drawing are suposed to be lumed hands.. the shape looks like the one photographed.

All photos of this watch I have seen, show lumed hands with a lumed dial!

I agree the hands on your watch are correct, which match the solid black numerals. Which is the same as on my west end 'matchless'.

like this one:

Last edited by Sparcster; June 5th, 2012 at 16:54.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

another advert:

taken from Vintage Watch Straps - History

Also explains the dial was lumed - as I have said before... not much point having a lumed dial without lumed hands!
    Marrick likes this.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I like it.

Great post with good info.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by john87300 View Post
    If you and folk like Trim don't stop posting watches like this then soon I shall be forced to sell all my watches and devote my time to collecting empty wine bottles after converting them from full ones
    Can I recommend a nice burgundy.....

Quote Originally Posted by radger View Post
    I like it.

Great post with good info.
    Cheers radger...

Miruis, looking back on where we have disagreed about the hands.... are we talking about the same thing?

My concern is when you get a dial which is lumed, or should be (outline of a number), that has solid hands - like mine! Which, I would assume have been changed during its life - probably as a result of the hands getting damaged/lost or losing their lume.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Yes, I can see exactly what you are saying, and I tend to agree - number outlines would indicate original lume, probably removed when it stopped working, and perhaps at the same time, the fragile cathedral hands replaced, probably as a result of the efforts of a heavy handed watchmaker. I'd agree this is the most likely option.

But there is a suggestion in the elgin military pocketwatch thread that sometimes the backs of the solid hands were lumed as new, if so I'd wonder if because of the fragility of cathedral hands in heavy use (military). Can't offer much opinion on this either way, except perhaps the theory would be more sensible on thicker hands not the fine ones on this watch as found.

I wouldn't say we disagreed anyway, more a question of poking at theory.

Its funny you mention 'Elgin'... as I am watching a military Elgin finishing soon...

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

And it is on these watches (the pershing), I have seen the solid hands painted/lumed completely... as seen on the one listed, there are tiny grooves for the lume.

I am assuming (like I do), that adverts like this, again, hand drawn...

May lead to someone thinking this is the right thing to do....

As seen on a few of the previous adverts I have posted, 'lumed dials/hands' are normally at an extra cost.... I could imagin people getting the standard dials/hands lumed at a later date.

But... I am just guessing!

Marc

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I think it's a fair guess. I thought the hands on this 1911 ladies pocket watch were dirty until I tried to clean them...

Name:  6148324360_f0ab83d9a9.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  111.5 KB

It's fair to say that in the past solid hands were no bar to luming, and hence my reticence to make an automatic assumption that solid hands are not original (though I agree with your reasoning).
    Last edited by Mirius; June 5th, 2012 at 19:59.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information