Some before and after pictures of an Angelus alarm watch in gun steel case. I will post pictures of the movment next and intend to polish the case, remove the scratches and gouges, then re-blue the case with heat.
Here is the dial restoration along with hands:
- The hands were removed, cleaned, sanded with 2000 grit, polished to white steel then blued with heat.
- The dial was removed, cleaned ultrasonically, then dried.
- Found a bow and crown/stem for the case and crystal so case was cleaned, plan on polishing and re-blueing the case while the movement is being serviced.
- Mixed up white water based Bergeon Luminous paste with a dab of water based orange acrylic paint. Just enough paint to give it an aged luminous look.
- Hand apply the luminous paste mixture to the dial and hands. Allow to dry on the dial then with loupe fix up the edges of the numbers where needed.
The lume and acrylic paint:
Close up of applicator, home made of course:
Had two dials so took the best to lume:
Before of case, dial and hands:
After of case, dial and hands:
Side by side comparison of before and after: