1920's Skeleton Gruen Verithin?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By 2W0Heaven

Thread: 1920's Skeleton Gruen Verithin?

1920's Skeleton Gruen Verithin?

Having a love for the mechanical aspects of watchmaking, I'm partial to watches that expose the inner workings of the mechanism, be it through a skeletonized or or open-heart dial. I also have a high appreciation for the craftsmanship that goes into finely decorating a movement.

I always try to be on the lookout for interesting vintage and came across this piece recently. It's a Gruen Verithin 19 jewel pocket watch movement with a particularly interesting dial decorated with miniature clubs around the perimeter. It's been converted to wristwatch format (disappointing) but is still highly appealing to me.

Here's my dilemma. Try as I might, I can't find another example of this model anywhere. It appears to be a similar movement to the one used in the Gruen 50th Verithin. Is it possible that this work was done in the aftermarket and an aftermarket dial added? From what I can make out, the dial appears to have some age as well. I'm still in the process of expanding my knowledge of vintage watches, so any help identifying this movement or information on the model is very much appreciated.

Thanks all in advance.

Name:  gruen skeleton.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  67.2 KB
    Name:  Gruen skel back 1.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  72.1 KB
    Name:  Gruen Skel back.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  67.2 KB
    Name:  14.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  67.7 KB

Here's the 50th Anniversary Verithin
    Name:  mvt.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  139.7 KB
    JP71624 and SteamJ like this.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Re: 1920's Skeleton Gruen Verithin?

Quote Originally Posted by 2W0Heaven View Post
    Having a love for the mechanical aspects of watchmaking, I'm partial to watches that expose the inner workings of the mechanism, be it through a skeletonized or or open-heart dial. I also have a high appreciation for the craftsmanship that goes into finely decorating a movement.
    With that love you should also appreciate the reasons why the watch manufacturers used solid plates and why Gruen only engraved the plates and did not skeletonise them in their anniversary watch.

The first thing I note about this watch are the screws holding the dial on. This leads me to suspect that this was not a hunter movement and that the converter has realigned the dial through 90 degrees - which is also hinted at by the sub second position. This is quite possibly also because in skeletonising they have machined away the dial fittings. I would be skeptical that this is not a recent conversion unless there is evidence otherwise.

It is absolutely rotated 90 degrees. I did notice a few empty holes while examining the photos up close. I know that this movement can not pre-date 1922, as that is when the "Gruen Watch Co." brand was used.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's what's sometimes known as a "fantasy conversion". It wasn't designed to look that way, and chances are the conversion was done long long after the watch was sold. I've heard (from old watchmakers) that when skeleton watches started to become popular in the 70's, some apprentice watchmakers were tasked with skeletonizing existing pocketwatches. However, most of this type of stuff is coming out of the ukraine in response to the surprisingly large number of people who want the cachet of a vintage piece and the visual appeal of these often creative pieces, but have no real interest in the history or provenence of the watch or watch company.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thanks so much for the info. I'd much prefer something that is original and unfooled with. Beautiful original engraving would be a bonus of course!

Hi,
    Interesting watch. Is it yours? With 19 jewels I'd guess that this was a V2-1/2 of the VeriThin line. As stated above, these certainly didn't come from the factory looking like this
    Quote Originally Posted by 2W0Heaven View Post
    I know that this movement can not pre-date 1922, as that is when the "Gruen Watch Co." brand was used.
    For this statement, what is the basis? I ask because I believe it to be wrong.
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Thread Information