1920's Syren Pocket watch

Thread: 1920's Syren Pocket watch

1920's Syren Pocket watch

Hi there,
    I've had this hunter for quite a few years and know virtually nothing about the Syren movement other than it works very well. The watch dates to the mid-twenties ( the case is hall marked 1927 and the winding stem 1926) ; the case was made by Dennison Watch Case co and the movement is signed Syren, Swiss Made.
    I've atached a few photographs and would appreciate any information about Syren and the particular movement in this watch.
    Many thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: 1920's Syren Pocket watch

I don't know a lot about the Syren brand. I think it may have been one used by the Record Watch Company. But I don't know much about Record either.
    The movement looks to be a good quality one with 17 jewels and gold jewel settings. Obviously it needs some restoration.
    Thanks for posting.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I know that the plate structure is not identical, but it looks rather like an old Revue (as in Revue Thommen) movement. Compare:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...2uswk&Revue_30

What's more, the fine adjustment, similar to those on old Zenith pocket watches, was also used by Revue. Compare:

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...swk&Revue_18.5

Not sure whether there was any link between Syren and Revue or whether the former just got some movements off the latter (if this is indeed a Revue movement - but I am more than 50% sure of it). Perhaps some others can provide further info.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
    Hi there,
    I've had this hunter for quite a few years and know virtually nothing about the Syren movement other than it works very well. The watch dates to the mid-twenties ( the case is hall marked 1927 and the winding stem 1926) ; the case was made by Dennison Watch Case co and the movement is signed Syren, Swiss Made.
    I've atached a few photographs and would appreciate any information about Syren and the particular movement in this watch.
    Many thanks
    Very interesting pocket watch. I like it!

Hi there again,
    Since I first posted this thread I've been searching on the internet for any further information on Syren.The only things I've found is that Pritchards list Syren as a mark for Record Watch Co ,and that at some stage in the past Syren had some sort of connection with Rolex -- see attached photograph of a Rolex watch seemimgly with a Syren movement.
    PhilD
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information