Lightbulb 1920s Wristwatch

Name:  tr1.jpeg
Views: 67
Size:  290.4 KBName:  back.jpeg
Views: 67
Size:  255.2 KBName:  trface.jpeg
Views: 60
Size:  68.3 KB

Hello everyone Ive been tring to get my hands on a watch like this. I think they call these trench watches, sure you guys know alot about them. The seller wants like 100dolars for it. This is the most amount of money I will ever be giving to one watch if I decide to actually buy it. So I am really excited about it and I want to know if everything looks okay to you guys. My issue is I dont know if this was made to be a wristwatch or is it converted. Seller says it wasnt converted. But I still want to know what you guys have to say for it because last time I didnt ask your opinions and got riped off pretty bad. Im still pretty new to the hobby so anything you guys say helps me a lot. Thanks

Re: 1920s Wristwatch

not sure the hands belong to this watch
    Old Navman and blueblunt like this.
    Chaos is my focus

Hi,
    No this watch doesn't seem converted, I think it always was a wristwatch from the start. But as laikrodukas said, there's a strong chance hands have been replaced or at least re-lumed.
    Good find anyway, Marc Favre was a quality brand and I love the fact their dial were often without any inscriptions.
    blueblunt likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    not sure the hands belong to this watch
    Is it because the minute hand extends or reaches slightly beyond the outer circle of the minute track?

You'd need to add in the cost of a competent service if you wish to wear the watch and have it run well. The state of the movement indicates it has not been serviced. That would at least double the cost of the watch. It's a part of buying and using vintage watches.
    blueblunt likes this.

Personally Knowing now what you do ...good and bad, I wouldnt hesitate. I wish I had the same opportunity. Good luck.
    blueblunt likes this.

It is lovely. It appears to be a good size. It is at a price that is likely doable. If it would make you smile when you glance at it on your wrist... Get it cleaned and enjoy it. That's what I would do.

These are called "wire lug" watches as the watch makers tried to jump on the wrist-watch bandwagon by soldering wire lugs to existing small (ladies) pocket watches. A lot were sold to troops in the first world war who found it more convenient to look at their wrist than dig under their coat for a pocket watch. However they had been around since the 1860's when mass-produced bicycles became a huge craze across all levels of society. Obviously their popularity was for the same reason - you didn't want to mess around getting out a pocket-watch while riding! Wrist worn watches had been around for some time before but were for ladies and were considered effeminate if worn by a man. A good big pocket watch was much more manly :) Their use in the first world-war meant that a lot of soldiers returned with their wrist-watches and made it manly to have a wrist watch.

To find out if it's a trench watch you'd have to start with the date. Below is one of my own wire lug watches (miniature half-hunter with enamel dial) which, although it has all the appearance of a trench watch, actually dates to 1926!

Name:  P1030358.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  560.7 KB
    blueblunt and SunnyOrange like this.

Thread Information