1921 waltham pocketwatch. Not original?

Thread: 1921 waltham pocketwatch. Not original?

1921 waltham pocketwatch. Not original?

16 size gold fill case with my initials nicely engraved has nice looking gold finished plates except for nickel balance plate that is not gold plated but but has same decoration pattern. Not sure the best grade regulator this has was in the Bartlett grade. Also has new looking painted metal dial not usual porcelain. I am not sure Waltham supplied those in 1921. Very little wear and runs freely. Nice looking medium grade keeper anyway.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; April 9th, 2010 at 21:46. Reason: clarify

Re: 1921 waltham pocketwatch. Not original?

Could the entire balance assembly with cock and all have been switched rather than repairing a broken staff? I have not seen such combinations as original. But then again there are lots of things I haven't seen.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Me too, but a good watchmaker said Waltham has a reputation for mixing their interchangeable parts. This one also has engine turning decoration on the backplate near balance not usual on mid grades.
    The combination of white metal higher grade balance assembly with same as gold plate decoration certainly looks good. The little decoration on winding wheels is also an extra. I have avoided lifting out balance plate to see if it has matching mvnt. number so far. The woman that sold it to me was emphatically positive it was all original. I was only ebay bidder, but did not expect it to be an original at her low reserve price and promised to let her know if it was or not. She is Debra in Connecticut, NAWCC member, and the finest of ebay traders.
    Last edited by artb; April 10th, 2010 at 15:53. Reason: add

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What does the marking under the balance cock plate say? I think in general mixing of parts have happened after the watches left the manufacturer.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Carefully lifted balance out. Has last 4 digits matching serial number. Gently dropped into place and immediately started running although a rundown main spring. The whole base plate is engine turned, it is marked adjusted, it is then an odd original. If the dial is not that is an easy replacement. It fooled me and cost the seller some good bidding because it is an unlikely movnt. decoration. Still interested in dial being authentic. It has a shallow circular central depression like a painted formed metal one, but the seconds bit looks like the porcelain 2 piece one with its sharp deep edges. Not sure but now more inclined that it is all original watch as the seller insisted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; April 10th, 2010 at 23:48. Reason: rewrite

One last comment. I do not believe Waltham marked a 1921 dial with U S A

Wrong dial opinion by me. Final decision. The foremost NAWCC member Waltham expert says it is totally original. That is a minority 6 to one opinion. Bartletts at that time had many gold finished movements so it is not especially rare. I guess two tone a little uncommon. If Debra the fine ebay seller lists another one, she will make clear in description it is all original for us dumb buyers.

Thread Information