1922 hamilton pocket watch.

Thread: 1922 hamilton pocket watch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1922 hamilton pocket watch.

I just purchased this watch a few days ago and have a few questions.
    How much can i wind it without damaging it? What is the power reserve on these watches? here are a few pics.
    What is something like this worth?

Re: 1922 hamilton pocket watch.

Nice Hamilton.The 910 is a 12 size,17 jewel,adjusted,double roller movement.Should be stem wind and set.You just wind it until it stop's you will fill it when you wind it to set the time pull up on the crown.If you don't know the service history get it serviced or you could damage a nice watch.I like that it came with the original box.

what is something like this worth?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's impossible to do valuations based on photographs, even good ones. The 12 size isn't highly collectible at the best of times, and while this is an extremely good example (with great provenance), its not the rarest or most sought after movement. Do a "completed sales" search on Ebay for "Hamilton 910", and you'll get a good idea of what these are selling for. Don't be depressed if you paid more though; this type of watch tends to be undervalued on Ebay.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Hi 1stTimer,

You have a VERY handsome, gold-cased Hamilton pocket watch, of very high quality there. Congratulations on your purchase. Use it in good health and treat it with respect, for it's a hell of a lot older and rarer than you ever will be! Hahahaha.

It is a very fine, 17-jewel watch with a micrometric regulator. It should keep excellent time. It has a (from what I can see), 25-year gold-filled case of excellent quality.

Now, your questions:

How much can i wind it without damaging it?

If this watch is working perfectly, and it's been serviced and cleaned professionally, you should be able to wind it up right to the top and let it run with NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. If it sticks or stops or starts with a jerk...it needs servicing. Do NOT overwind the watch by twisting and tugging on the crown further than it has to go. This will cause serious damage to the watch.

What is the power reserve on these watches?

A typical mechanical pocket watch has a power-reserve of about 36 hours (a day and a half). Some special watches had power-reserves of upwards of a week, but these were the exception, rather than the rule.

Value for watches such as this is very hard to determine, as Rob has said. It's best not to ask.

Use your watch in good health, enjoy it, use it well. Oh, and get a chain for it. Wearing a pocket watch without a chain is an A-grade mistake which will cost you dearly if the watch drops. Watches this old do NOT have shock-protection. They're afraid of heights, dust, hard surfaces and water. So try and keep them away from all of that.

Feel free to ask any other questions that you might have. We're happy to help.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Pretty good example~Cheers!

You certainly got a fine watch, 1stTimer... I was just reading the inside of the box, that's quite a bunch of words there!

For those who can't read it, it says:

"We hereby certify that watch movement no. 1977774, is grade no. 910 of our manufacture, warranted to be made of the finest materials, adjusted to heat and cold, is adjusted in case no. 386807 and guaranteed in every part and particular.

Hamilton Watch Co.

Charles (?)

President"
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    Hi 1stTimer,

You have a VERY handsome, gold-cased Hamilton pocket watch, of very high quality there. Congratulations on your purchase. Use it in good health and treat it with respect, for it's a hell of a lot older and rarer than you ever will be! Hahahaha.

It is a very fine, 17-jewel watch with a micrometric regulator. It should keep excellent time. It has a (from what I can see), 25-year gold-filled case of excellent quality.

Now, your questions:

How much can i wind it without damaging it?

If this watch is working perfectly, and it's been serviced and cleaned professionally, you should be able to wind it up right to the top and let it run with NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. If it sticks or stops or starts with a jerk...it needs servicing. Do NOT overwind the watch by twisting and tugging on the crown further than it has to go. This will cause serious damage to the watch.

What is the power reserve on these watches?

A typical mechanical pocket watch has a power-reserve of about 36 hours (a day and a half). Some special watches had power-reserves of upwards of a week, but these were the exception, rather than the rule.

Value for watches such as this is very hard to determine, as Rob has said. It's best not to ask.

Use your watch in good health, enjoy it, use it well. Oh, and get a chain for it. Wearing a pocket watch without a chain is an A-grade mistake which will cost you dearly if the watch drops. Watches this old do NOT have shock-protection. They're afraid of heights, dust, hard surfaces and water. So try and keep them away from all of that.

Feel free to ask any other questions that you might have. We're happy to help.
    Thanks for the replies and the comments. The watch starts up right away, within half turn. It runs a bit fast,about 5 mins a day. I want to bring it to someone that is familiar with vintage pocket watches. Where can i find the chain that came with this model?

Hi,

You won't. Chains were not specific to any model of watch. It was merely a matter of buying a chain which the owner felt comfortable with. There are four main types of chains:

Single Albert.
    Double Albert.
    Spring-ring/ring-clip.
    Belt-clip.

They're all rather common. Single & Double Alberts are designed to be threaded through buttonholes. Traditionally, this was a waistcoat buttonhole, but if you don't have a waistcoat, a shirt with a breast pocket, or a coat with buttons & buttonholes will work just as fine. A spring-ring chain was worn with trousers or jeans which had watch-pockets. Some pants and jeans are still made with watch-pockets, and with your watch being one of the smaller ones, it should fit into most of these such pockets without too much hassle. The same goes for belt-clip chains. These last two were designed to clip around the belt-loops of your trousers or jeans.

I wear my pocket watches with a Single Albert:

My regular Waltham with my watch-chain. Vintage fountain pens thrown in for decoration...
    Last edited by Shangas; January 15th, 2010 at 16:22.

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Very nice Hammie 910, made even nicer because of the original box.

Checked my copy of the Hamilton Finishing Records, your watch went to the finishing room in April, 1923.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information