1937 Milos Chronograph Landeron 47, 7 Jewel, three pusher plus sphere - A restoration
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: 1937 Milos Chronograph Landeron 47, 7 Jewel, three pusher plus sphere - A restoration

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1937 Milos Chronograph Landeron 47, 7 Jewel, three pusher plus sphere - A restoration

Hi All,

promised a while back to post this Landeron 47 after I was finished. Well, its been done for a little while and I've almost finished the next one - so here it is.

This was the ebay photo, the thing that set it apart from others was the rare(ish) spherical pushers. I've wanted one with these for some time. Mismatched hands, funny non original bezel (it covered the outer red telemeter ring), and no back - but was a reasonable price. It is one of the first with all of the original movement parts from the 47 - it is also only 7 jewels!

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  1.29 MB

Well, when you buy a watch without a back - you always know its not going to be great, and this watch lived up to those expectations unfortunately - the vendor's photo did not show how bad it was.

Name:  IMG_4172.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  1.27 MB

As this is a 47 - with all of the early original parts - I had to work with what I had. I hand refinished essentially all of the chronograph works and saved everything - nothing was replaced. The coupling clutch was the most challenging, but you cannot easily find these early ones. You can still see some minor effects on parts such as the chronograph driving wheel, but this watch is 80 years old and the first model cam switched chronograph - so it is worth saving in its original form.

Here is the finished movement (edit - well I just noticed I don't have a photo with the driving wheel fitted - you will need to use your imagination - it goes on the 4th wheel pivot and conveniently covers up a little of the pitting on the plate Actually since this photo I also refinished all of the screw heads, oh well, never mind). Notice the jewel in the coupling clutch? Well, that is included in the count of 7 jewels, so the bottom balance cap is unjeweled, this was pretty common in the 1930s and earlier - so it is very period consistent.

Name:  IMG_5693.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  1.12 MB

It is now running quite well, I have since regulated it after letting it settle in.

Name:  IMG_5709.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  1.04 MB

And here it is on the wrist. It needed quite a bit of case work:

• I needed to fit another period bezel and donor back (required lathe work),
    • plus find and fit the correct pusher crown.
    • I also needed to fit some new hour and minute hands, and chose these blued leaf hands (which needed fitting).
    • I also fitted a replacement chronograph hand, although this is a later model, without the lovely long counterweight that would have been original. I will find one at some point.
    • The minute counter and sub-second hands are the ones that came with the watch.
    • New period strap.

Name:  IMG_6352.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  1.21 MB

Again.

Name:  IMG_6359.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  1.21 MB

It is nice to bring this one back to life, and I have worn it quite a bit over the last 2 months.

Kris.
    Last edited by trim; March 28th, 2018 at 00:30.

Re: 1937 Milos Chronograph Landeron 47, 7 Jewel, three pusher plus sphere - A restoration

Aw always Wow...you do work to be proud of.

Re: 1937 Milos Chronograph Landeron 47, 7 Jewel, three pusher plus sphere - A restoration

Amazing job. I’m impressed.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Kris,

great! You did likely right to invest that sort of time into such fairly pedestrian watch. I had already to wait long until I got a 100% Landeron 47 with three pushers into my archive, but I've never noticed one with 7 jewels.

Consider that the price for this movement was CHF 3.50 (about one Dollar) when introduced. So what could be saved if 10 jewels were replaced by brass bushings? I guess nothing, and suspect there was another remarkable reduction of duties for watches with 7 jewels or less.

Anyway, your watch could be the last survived sample of its kind - enjoy it.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    busmatt and redcow like this.

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi Kris,
    great! You did likely right to invest that sort of time into such fairly pedestrian watch. I had already to wait long until I got a 100% Landeron 47 with three pushers into my archive, but I've never noticed one with 7 jewels.
    Thanks Roland, for sure it was worth the effort, while in bad condition - I would not like to wait for another to come along in this configuration. For me the cost is mostly time and some consumables - so the equation is easier to justify. It would certainly not be economical to pay a watchmaker for such work.

I have mentioned before to you another rarity, a triple pusher Landeron 50 - I have not seen another (for those of you wondering this is the triple pusher version of the Landeron 51). I will send you a photo for your archive when I've serviced it.

Speaking of your archive, you may need to update your L47 entry to also show 7 jewels as well as 17

Consider that the price for this movement was CHF 3.50 (about one Dollar) when introduced. So what could be saved if 10 jewels were replaced by brass bushings? I guess nothing, and suspect there was another remarkable reduction of duties for watches with 7 jewels or less.
    I expect you are correct.

I also have a 7 jewel Venus 170, which I do not see many examples of. You also don't mention this version in your archive.

Anyway, your watch could be the last survived sample of its kind - enjoy it.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Hah! Now someone will likely post another!

Nice work. I love seeing the old ones gets a new life.
    I recently obtained my first Landeron and really like it.
    busmatt likes this.

Beautiful work.

Regards,

Another great piece of work.
    Congrats.

Having ogled this watch in person when it was fresh off of eBay, the transformation and effort you've put into this is impressive. It has resulted in an phenomenal piece.

Cheers!
    busmatt likes this.
    All that I know is based on the hard work and writing of others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. To quote Newton, "If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Here's mine, has ANCRE DE PRECISION in an arc across top half of dial. I can see it with a 40x loop and bouncing the light JUST RIGHT and at the perfect angle.

Post COA, great runner.

Maybe you can tell me if this is a 100% Landeron 47

I place it circa 1937 and it came with that cool metal bracelet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by QWatchQ; March 30th, 2018 at 05:58.
    busmatt likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information