1938 Hamilton Sherwood 10K...With an incredible engraving! Any thoughts?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By eldarinn

Thread: 1938 Hamilton Sherwood 10K...With an incredible engraving! Any thoughts?

1938 Hamilton Sherwood 10K...With an incredible engraving! Any thoughts?

Hey folks. This time I need help from YOU
    I am in the phase of restoring this 1938 Hamilton 'Sherwood' in 10K solid gold.
    The watch is simply "state of the art" American horology in every aspect;
    The dial is Sterling silver with applied solid gold numerals and even the print is hard enamel.
    It has a 982 manual wind caliber which is an amazing creation and one of Hamilton's best made, cased in this elegant Art Deco streaming 10K gold case.
    I enclosed the catalog photo of the model as my question and photos are in regards to the case only and the movement is disassembled at this moment.

The above preface was the least interesting part :-D
    Turning the case around, I discovered one of the most amazing hand engravings I have ever seen.
    I sold well over 1000 different pre-60s American made watches so far, of which at least a third were Hamiltons.
    Never seen anything so detailed as this engraving.
    It appears to be a lady, with two boys (or a boy and a girl) in what looks like a floral environment inside an Art Deco inspired gate with 19 39 (year) and initials at the bottom.
    All this in half the size of a gents caseback (!).

Was wondering if anyone could point out anything about this particular design, is it inspired by something famous (I have a strong feeling it does but can't point the finger).
    Thanks everyone!

Name:  SHERWOOD 1938.JPG
Views: 442
Size:  59.1 KB
    Name:  CIMG2137.JPG
Views: 505
Size:  285.6 KB
    Name:  CIMG2138.JPG
Views: 417
Size:  259.3 KB
    bubba48, fjf and Dablitzer like this.

Re: 1938 Hamilton Sherwood 10K...With an incredible engraving! Any thoughts?

I think these 1930s/1940s tank-style wristwatches are absolutely stunning. One day, I'd love to own one, even though I'm not a fan of wristwatches (as many people here know), which is a testament to how cool I think they are.

The case is 14kt gold, not 10kt. It says so in the advertisement, and on the case.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

amazing engraving, looks alot like this

the assumption of the virgin by anthony van dyck

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It's not the work of a master engraver... but if it is a copy of a master's work, I too do not recognize it. I am surprised at such detail in such a small piece of art. Somebody loved this watch!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

DGF67: Thanks for the post, that's probably an inspiration direction, I assume there may be others of the same subject.
    Shangas: Not that it matters to the subject but you're absolutely correct, it's actually mentioned even in the photo :-D And on the inside. I had 10K in mind for some reason.

your watch has design like my watch...

the images before sold to me
    bataviajam.blogspot.com/2012/04/engadin-art-deco-sub-second.html?m=1

Safety Cheers,
    Mas

Me personally, I'm getting an India/Southeast Asia vibe off the main figure.
    Maybe something to take to an art history professor who might be able to identify.
    Love who they incorporated the date and I would guess "I.J." (sp?) would have been the owner of the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by dgf67 View Post
    amazing engraving, looks alot like this

the assumption of the virgin by anthony van dyck
    I've got more Converse sneakers than watches, but it is a close race.

May well be! Thanx for the tip, definitely could be an Indian direction.

Thread Information