1940s Wittnauer triple calendar HELP !!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By [email protected]
  • 1 Post By stuffler,mike
  • 3 Post By ErreCi
  • 1 Post By tinknocker
  • 1 Post By ErreCi
  • 1 Post By ErreCi

Thread: 1940s Wittnauer triple calendar HELP !!

1940s Wittnauer triple calendar HELP !!

Does anyone have an information on this watch- what type of mov’t they would have used at the time, etc. Any help is much appreciated - just added this to my collection. It’s a triple calendar with a floating seconds hand- mechanical.
    Attached Images Attached Images

busmatt likes this.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: 1940s Wittnauer triple calendar HELP !!

Welcome to WatchUSeek. Moved your post to the more suitable forum.
    [email protected] likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Hi and welcome. Your watch has a beautiful Wittnauer cal.77, which is a modified Revue Cal.81 in order to have the triple calendar functions. Should be a 1950s watch.
    If you are new to vintage triple calendars, I suggest you to learn how to operate them (IE how to set day, date and month correctly without breaking internal components).
    The first think you want to learn, if you still have not, is that you should never, ever, attempt to operate any of the functions between 8pm and 5am (to be safe). So you best set the time at 6:30 every time you want to make any change.
    Also, I'm pretty sure that the month has to be set manually, it doesn't change by itself after 31 days, so don't panic if the 1st of November you won't see "NOV" in the little window.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you so much!! That just what I wanted to know- I really appreciate it.Sadly she stopped running this afternoon- so I’m taking her back for a look to the watch shop in the am.😢
    I do know about not changing the time at night- and this model actually DOES flip the month after 31!!!! Super 😎 once it’s working again....

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Thank you so much!! That just what I wanted to know- I really appreciate it.Sadly she stopped running this afternoon- so I’m taking her back for a look to the watch shop in the am.��
    I do know about not changing the time at night- and this model actually DOES flip the month after 31!!!! Super �� once it’s working again....
    But not after 30, that's what I think he means. Anyway, why did it stop all of a sudden? I assume you tried winding it with no luck?
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

I did - wound until it hit its natural stop, pulled the crown and put it back in— I’ll let you know what the watch repair person says tmmrw and take photos- I just got it a day ago so I’m sure they will be happy to check it out and fix it up. 🏽

You're welcome and nope, I wasn't aware that the month wheel turns automatically every month, mine was just an assumption. Most of these 50s triple calendars, like the more complex Angelus chronodato's SF217, need to have the month set manually. BTW, hopefully your watch only needs a good clean and some fresh oil

Name:  8D97162E-0D73-4120-BD59-79A3D68D7A3B.jpeg
Views: 70
Size:  1.30 MB

There was a hair in it!! Thankfully- a tiny little hair. They asked if I opened it, I haven’t opened it - so I guess it was in there from the servicing... oh well- she’s back now. I LOVE the blue arm, and red date marker- reminds me of the JLeC master calendar, the hands aswell- except the back end just ends- which I kinds like more, actually...with the blue ring all around the stem
    The tilting of the numerals on the dial really make it for me... it’s really well thought out.
    I wear it with another 50’s watch- Adriatic world champion extra... for when I’m doing any heavy stuff- it just ticks SOOOOO LOUDLY!! I have to close my watch drawer or my partner can’t sleep because of that watch alone!
    Thanks for the help.

I wonder- should I look in the back to ensure it’s the proper mov’t?

If you want you can check it (it really is a beautiful think to look at imho) but then again I'm pretty confident that it's the correct movement since everything else is correct too (hands, case, dial, not sure about the crown because these were unsigned but yours looks good anyway, fits inside the case's slot pretty nicely).

Thread Information