1940's Bulova identification. Crystal and hands needed

Thread: 1940's Bulova identification. Crystal and hands needed

1940's Bulova identification. Crystal and hands needed

I hope everyone had a great Christmas, now back to the hobbies... This is a Bulova watch I've had for awhile, it runs/keeps time well, but as you can see the minute/hour hands should be gold and the second hand is missing completely, also the glass crystal broke when it fell out and landed on the floor. The movement is a 10BS 15 jewel Swiss made and according to www.mybulova.com it's likely date of manufacture is 1944. Anyone have any further info or source for hands/crystal?

Thank you

Name:  039 (800x600).jpg
Views: 413
Size:  255.1 KB

Re: 1940's Bulova identification. Crystal and hands needed

I'm surprised with 142 people interested in the answer to my question, (if that being the case) not one person commented on how stupid my noob questions were or even suggested a different topic location to repost the question...anyone?

Hi there,

I believe the watch model name is the "Arnold". If you go to the 1944 ads at mybulova you can see it pictured. Unfortunately, the 10BS isn't in my Bulova parts interchange book. I am almost certain that NOS hands for your movement will be labeled as 10BC. From Bulova minute and hour hands come as a set in one envelope. The hands you are looking for are "Gilt Modern"...If you go to mybulova under information then catalogs there is a link to how to read the NOS Bulova hand envelopes. You can find these hands on the 'bay frequently.

Sorry, I can't help with the crystal. The "Arnold" model designation may be enough to locate it though. Again...ebay.

I hope you find this helpful.
    Last edited by Paleotime; December 29th, 2012 at 17:26.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ofrei.com will cut custom crystals. I've never done it so don't know how much. In any case, finding a watchmaker who will do the work is your real priority.

I didn't think any of your nubie questions were bad. But you need to realize only about 1% of the people who read posts are members and can reply/post themselves. Patience is a virtue
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

I don't have anything on crystals (case parts are a different "business" then the movement parts), but here's what I have on the hands:

Name:  PG 101.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  208.0 KBName:  PG 102.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  193.4 KBName:  PG 107.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  373.0 KBName:  PG 109.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  365.5 KBName:  PG 111.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  318.0 KB
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thank you for helpful information. I was looking at the table for minute/hour hand exchange on mybulova.com and looks like the 10AE hands fit but no info about the second hand. I'm just hoping to find a crystal for $15-$20 as the case for this watch is not good enough for me to invest the money to have someone custom make one, especially as the it's a compound curve like the face which is also very patina'd as well. This forum is so popular if you don't have an answer in a couple of days your question disappears off the page.

Thanks again

Thread Information