1940s Türler with... MST 352?
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 1940s Türler with... MST 352?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1940s Türler with... MST 352?

Hello there,
    So, it's been quite some time since my last purchase. I've just returned from the Sunday market with... this:
    Name:  zdj?cie 3.JPG
Views: 231
Size:  2.74 MB
    It has some issues alright. The balance staff has had it. The crystal needs to be replaced. So is the case with the seconds hand- I really doubt that the gold one is original. And... That's about it. My watchmaker will undoubtedly have quite some work to do with this one, but I really like to think, that the final result will be worth it.
    Name:  zdj?cie 1.JPG
Views: 209
Size:  567.9 KB
    Apart from placing their name on watches by well-known brands they've retailed, Turler apparently made their own watches with decent generic movements- I guess that's one of them. The movement is an MST 352- at least I think it's a 352. I can clearly see the MST logo under the balance, but I can't see the calibre number.
    bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: MST 352
    This one is the closest match- apparently I've got a version with a different shape of bridges, but the balance cock and the general layout seem to be a match.
    The movement is placed in a bowl-like caseback, with the lugs, the main bloc and the bezel being a single part- a bit like in my 1948 Zenith.
    What I especially like about this one is the aged lume. Has it been relumed? Dunno. If ever, then that would have taken place a long time ago. But I think the lume is original... Well, at least that's what I want to believe
    A wrist shot:
    Name:  zdj?cie 4.JPG
Views: 212
Size:  2.11 MB
    So... A Turler and a Roamer in one package What are your thoughts about this one, chaps?
    Charon and busmatt like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.
    Capt. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek: The Next Generation)

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Re: 1940s Türler with... MST 352?

Close. MST360 - w/hidden click.

Name:  MST360.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  126.2 KB

Sure MST sold movements to others. What's on the inside of the case back? Maybe Roamer made the whole thing - they certain made cases like you describe in the 1940s - like this one:

Vintage Roamer Watch Site
    Last edited by trim; August 30th, 2015 at 15:01.
    Mirius, mkws and busmatt like this.

No Roamer signature there. So I guess it's a movement that Turler bought from MST (Roamer). They did buy generic movements and signed the dials with their name only, seen some of these a few times.
    If it would have been made entirely by Roamer, I guess that the dial would have a Roamer logo with a smaller Turler inscription below it- as it was with other brands retailed by Turler.
    EDIT:
    I've just found the same thing on eBay- that's the very same dial, the very same movement and the very same case:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-TURL...item235289f2c7
    Last edited by mkws; August 30th, 2015 at 15:04.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

Villains who twirl their moustaches are easy to spot. Those who clothe themselves in good deeds are well-camouflaged.

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Probably, but check the link I edited in above, if the case construction is similar, then it is possible I guess. It is the right period.

Thanks for all the info so far, Trim! Doesn't have inscriptions on the inside as well... The case construction is the same- bowl-like case back, and my watch has the dust cover on the movement as well. So... Made by Roamer entirely?
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Seems likely. These ones IRCC aren't signed inside, only outside - which is easily removed/not applied.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

It's the sort of standard product that Roamer was supplying for its sub brands in terms of case and dial. Given that we know they supplied complete watches to Anglo Swiss it would be no surprise if they did for Turler.
    mkws likes this.

Thanks a lot for your help, guys! By the way, do you perhaps know when (roughly) the MST 360 was in production? I know that determining the exact year of manufacture of this watch is impossible, however I'd be happy to have a general idea. By the looks of it, I think it's post- 1945, but pre- 1950. Is that as close as I can get to dating it?
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Oh, and lest I forget- I'd like to ask for some strap advice for this one.
    My ideas so far are:
    1. Plain brown with light beige stitching
    2. Dark brown with screw stud fasteners and detachable wrist guard
    3. Keep the current black one.
    If you guys have any suggestions, I'd really like to hear them, because, frankly, I'm having a hard time deciding.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Period is as close as youll get the date. Probably would have been on a pigskin strap originally.
    mkws and busmatt like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information