1943 Eterna... 520 Cal.... Spares/Repairs.... and thanks Marrick for doing the leg work....
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sparcster

Thread: 1943 Eterna... 520 Cal.... Spares/Repairs.... and thanks Marrick for doing the leg work....

1943 Eterna... 520 Cal.... Spares/Repairs.... and thanks Marrick for doing the leg work....

Todays arrival was a £15 gamble.... and no.... its not a trench watch!

Described as 'parts or repairs' by a watch dealer, was not really hoping for much!

The pics were not the best, dial looked very worn, case was dirty.... but movement looked ok....

I say thanks to Marrick.... as I was stuggling to work out the patent number on the case.... I could make out 43X296.... with the 'X' having a rounded top.... O,2,3,8,9..... but searching for 'dennison case lug patent' came up with the thread:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/den...oc-602807.html

The patent 430296 by dennison was for a case with lugs intergrated into the bezel.... reading Marricks thread has more info!

The case, after a clean looks in good shape...

As seen the dial is showing its age.... and from the serial number, the watch dates to approx 1943. The movement is a very nice 520 cal.... which looks nice and clean...

Now... as seen in the pics, the watch is not running... the balance swung freely, hairspring looks fine... but the crown seems pretty solid... I say pretty sold, as it would turn a quarter turn, stop, then spring back the quarter turn.....

BUT THEN....

When writing this up, I picked the watch up to help desribe what was going on... I turned the crown until it stopped... held it for a few seconds... and the watch sprung to life!!!!

Its been running about 10 mins now, keeping time..... what is that all about!!! I had shaken the watch, moved the balance... nothing would get it started!

My parts watch for £15 just turned into a nice little runner
    Mirius likes this.
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Re: 1943 Eterna... 520 Cal.... Spares/Repairs.... and thanks Marrick for doing the leg work....

Yes £15 seems a bargain for a now working watch

Banned

Re: 1943 Eterna... 520 Cal.... Spares/Repairs.... and thanks Marrick for doing the leg work....

Superb!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I like this alot. I have a very similar pierce, from the same period, but yours was and is the far better watch.

Quote Originally Posted by trim View Post
    I like this alot. I have a very similar pierce, from the same period, but yours was and is the far better watch.
    Cheers,

Your pierce is also in marricks thread!
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Congrats - again! I'd forgotten all about that one - I must dig it out.Name:  36_1_77.gif
Views: 414
Size:  49.1 KB
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    Congrats - again!
    Cheers Marrick...

again....

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Thread Information