WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1947 Omega Automatic rose

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  John DM 
#1 ·

28.10 RA/PC movement, omega's first automatic!

Having some concerns.
The crown is yellow gold, while the case is rose gold filled.
The hands & dial details are also yellow gold, so I was wondering if the crown could be original. I have a strong feeling the original crown should have been pink aswell.

Also, is there a way to clean the dial without damaging whats left of the paint? Or would I need a refinish (which I wouldn't like to do)
I heard something about using a special sort of gum, but don't know what thats about really :roll:.

See less See more
#2 ·
The gaskets in crowns often turn to goo and are not cost effective to remove. Instead the whole crown is replaced - much cheaper. So mis-matched crowns are common. It is, in reality, a good sign. It shows the watch has been maintained by a previous owner.

As to the dis-colorization of the dial... I suspect it is not just surface deposits but runs into the paint itself. It is now 'patina' and adds to the 'this is a vintage watch' nature of the piece. Enjoy this nice example as it is. I like it!

#3 ·
I for one am not for refinishing dials most of the time. I think the aged patina adds to the character of the watch. The crown is more then likely a replacement. It's very hard to find a matching crown for vintage watches.

#8 ·
ah, well, now you've done it ......I gotta ask ....what is Rodico ? how do you use it ? and where do you get it should one desire to give it a try ?

....and thanks !
Rodico is the watchmaker's duct tape - many many uses. Ostensibly it is a green clay that can be used as a cleaner. Ofrei.com knows all!

#12 ·
movement

Thanks for posting the pics of movement. It got me to thinking, so I dug around in the safe.

I found a watch that looks kind of (read a lot) like yours. The case back number is F6231, no s/n. It's a 342 calibre (124666XX) and is a derivative of your movement.

Mine's a beater. I bought it in a junque store on Route 66 for sixteen dollars. The back is two piece = a "pie pan" held in place by a threaded ring. The edge of the back was completely worn through from 4:00 to 9:30. I soft soldered the inside and buffed the outside. Spanked it once, it cried and I wore it for a while. Still keeps good time. Great dial patina, "gold" hour markers, numbers @ 3/9/12, concentric rings on the sub seconds and a little bit of dissipated green lume, maybe original hands, generic crown, 14K plate, one slightly tweaked lug, crystal that needs buffing - its a roughhouse version of your "hothouse tomatoe".

Roy Oliver said there was a time when "Omega wasn't the equal of a Rolex - it was it's better" and he did a good business "upgrading" Rolex owners to an Omega. I personally like both brands, but it's obvious why Omega was so successful when you consider watches like yours - it has a classic appearance and they wear great and keep great time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.