1950's cream diall Longines ?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 1950's cream diall Longines ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1950's cream diall Longines ?

Iv'e just stumbled across this lovely looking watch. Trouble is, the advert makes little sense.
    One place it says 1950's but is advertised as 1948 ? The style is very similar to the Longines Czech pilot but with a creamy dial
    and stunning steel blue hands. I know that the Majetek dial was black and that their was an 'albino' version, but that looks nothing like
    this watch.
    Also the dial is not centered correctly.
    Anyone seen one like it before ?

Longines MAJETEK Vintage 1948 for $.2,612 for sale from a Private seller on Chrono24

Re: 1950's cream diall Longines ?

44mm is gigantic for that era.

That is one beautiful watch that I' buy if I found it in a garage sale at, say, a hundred or so dollars. Period.

I mean, the text maintains it to be a Czech Air Force watch of 1948, a progenitor of the Panerai with the big-size movement later used in Panerais. Um ... what?

That's quite a lot of unsubstantiated yarn for a 2.5+ k watch in my opinion.

I'd offer something like 350 € on condition that a decent movement shot be provided.

My two cents.

Best,
    Tomcat
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kazrich View Post
    Iv'e just stumbled across this lovely looking watch. Trouble is, the advert makes little sense.
    One place it says 1950's but is advertised as 1948 ? The style is very similar to the Longines Czech pilot but with a creamy dial
    and stunning steel blue hands. I know that the Majetek dial was black and that their was an 'albino' version, but that looks nothing like
    this watch.
    Also the dial is not centered correctly.
    Anyone seen one like it before ?

Longines MAJETEK Vintage 1948 for $.2,612 for sale from a Private seller on Chrono24
    Where is the advert?
    and
    If advert is 1948 and watch is 1950, is that a problem?

Its a lovely watch, I would want to compare dial to original, something about it?

Adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Outlawyer View Post
    44mm is gigantic for that era.
    Agree here - outside clear WWII era pilots watches i haven't seen ANYTHING near this size from Longines in the 50s - the large case WWII watches that are legit also tend to have large crowns as pilots wore gloves....different pics also give dramatically different colour perspectives on this watch which seems a little funky ? SDA
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

It says details just left of pictures. The vendor seems far more interested in the custom strap than details
    Of the watch ?
    Can't see anything similar on a Google image search.
    A Czech pilots Majetek is 41 mm without the crown so I would be surprised if that's 44 mm.
    Stlll think that the dial has dropped in the case - or something isn't quite right.
    Even so, it's very nice.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Quote Originally Posted by HOROLOGIST007 View Post

I agree that the watch in Adam's link looks correct, but even that one does not give enough information. No mention of the calibre (should be the 15.94), only the barest mention of age, no case back or internal photos, and the ones used look "generic".
    For those amounts of cash, one needs a lot more info.

Not "Caveat Emptor" but "Fugam Emptor"!
    Last edited by bobbee; August 3rd, 2014 at 20:02.

OK guys, back to square one.
    I do know what a standard Majetek looks like - I recently purchased this one

Approximately 3000 of these were made for the Czech airforce and general public between the mid 30's and late 40's.
    The watch in question states that the year of manufacture was 1952. This is quite possible.
    Longines may have had cases and movements left over, and thought along the lines of
    New style dial but keep away from black as it's too military. Replace the old fashioned cathedral style hands and reduce all the Arabic numerals to just 4 giving a cleaner more modern look.
    Remove the coin edge bi directional bezel, as Joe public won't need it and it's too fussy for general purposes.
    Everyone seems to like steel blue hands so we shall apply them to a parchment coloured dial.
    The rest we have in stock, so this is going to be our ' new ' Majetek '.for 1952.
    As regards the Panerai comment - Many people believe that the original 1935 Majetek inspired the case design of the early Panerai.
    Already 2 people have commented that they like the look of my new' Panny '
    The vendor states that the case is 44 mm. The Majetek IS exactly 44mm. if you measure including the crown.
    The poor quality images do show a genuine Longines Majetek case. The vendor does say that it's a redial.
    My understanding of a good redial is that it looks as good as it would have looked in the shop 60 years ago - Not a redesign of the dial loosely
    based on the original design ?
    So either this could be a limited production run of a very handsome watch and worth the asking price
    or a 'one off ' Frankenwatch made a couple of months ago.
    If the vendor showed us the movement and number, Longines will tell us precisely what it is.
    Richard
    xinxin and HOROLOGIST007 like this.

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Maybe you should have told us all this at the beginning!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information