1950's Rolex Oysterdate Identification
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By carleel

Thread: 1950's Rolex Oysterdate Identification

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5

    1950's Rolex Oysterdate Identification

    Good day, I recently inherited my grandfathers Oysterdate Precision.

    I've been spending a lot of time just admiring it and relishing in it's history. I never got to meet my dad's parents, they both passed away when he was 8 and my dad was pretty much raised an orphan. It's amazing he managed to keep the watch all these years. He's worn it all his life almost daily and due to health he's pretty much home bound and stopped wearing watches. And so it happens, it was the right time to hand it down to me.

    I've been scouring the internet trying to find out more information on the piece. I've found similar ones with the same ref , but I haven't been able to find any images online with this particular dial. Is there a chance this could be a redial?
    I'm not concerned at all with the value of the watch, it's the story and history that's important to me.
    So i thought I'd reach out here to see if anyone could help me with any information on the watch.

    Ref: 6094
    S/N: 7430xx

    Thank You in advance :)
    Attached Images Attached Images



    OhDark30 and bsshog40 like this.

  2. #2
    Member morningtundra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    USA, UK & HKG
    Posts
    449

    Re: 1950's Rolex Oysterdate Identification

    The dial looks original to me. Just beautiful!

    The hands look to be service replacements. The crystal too, obviously. Any pictures of the crown or movement?

    Lovely watch.


    Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Milano, IT
    Posts
    231

    Re: 1950's Rolex Oysterdate Identification

    Dial looks good to me, even has the lume plots signs on it (or what's left of them). Hands are probably a replacement and I'm not totally sure about the date wheel, the font is not the typical one that can be found on those watches but I can be totally wrong on that
    Beautiful 1961 watch nonetheless

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5

    Re: 1950's Rolex Oysterdate Identification

    Quote Originally Posted by ErreCi View Post
    Dial looks good to me, even has the lume plots signs on it (or what's left of them). Hands are probably a replacement and I'm not totally sure about the date wheel, the font is not the typical one that can be found on those watches but I can be totally wrong on that
    Beautiful 1961 watch nonetheless
    Wow, I never noticed the lume plots until you pointed them out. It's so subtle under the patina (most likely from years of tropical humidity damage). Thanks for pointing it out.


    Quote Originally Posted by morningtundra View Post
    The dial looks original to me. Just beautiful!
    The hands look to be service replacements. The crystal too, obviously. Any pictures of the crown or movement?
    I know it may be blasphemous to some, but as for the crystal I did take some polywatch to it, but I suppose it's very likely a replacement. I also did give the case a light polish with a tiny piece of cape cod just to get rid of years of gunk and grime and return some sparkle.

    I don't have the means to open up the case to have a look at the movement.
    Here are some images of the crown and the state of the watch before I cleaned it up.
    Attached Images Attached Images








  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Milano, IT
    Posts
    231

    Re: 1950's Rolex Oysterdate Identification

    Crown is definitely correct
    Also, using polywatch is no big deal at all, removing small scrathches is totally fine imho. That said, fitting a new glass is probably recommended anyway because it would prevent any sort of humidity & dust leak inside the watch. Those crystal's edges look a bit tired. I don't know the last time it was serviced but a good clean and oiling of the movement would be the best choice in order to prevent any damage that might occur while wearing the watch after X years since the last service. If you are going to have it serviced, you might even change the crystal and have the watchmaker to snap some pics of the inner part of the caseback and of the movement. He might even source the right hands for your watch and dig a bit more into that date wheel (which I still cannot relate to any Oysterdate but as I said it might be just my limited knowledge )

  7. #6
    Member morningtundra's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    USA, UK & HKG
    Posts
    449

    Re: 1950's Rolex Oysterdate Identification

    I'm pretty sure the acrylic crystals had a cyclops originally (all mine from this period do). I'm wondering if this is what makes the date font look a little off? There is variety in date wheel fonts from this period and I think yours looks plenty good enough for the character of the watch.

    The hands would be "alpha" or "sword" style, with tritium lume and matching color to the hour markers (gold). Sets can be found on Ebay for under $100. You'll need to know the calibre to be sure to find a set that fits (1215 or 1225 I'm guessing). If you have a set, they're inexpensive to replace.

    The Super Oyster crown is pretty unusual. They're less than "waterproof" and have commonly been replaced during service. I'd definitely plan to keep it and just avoid getting it too wet.

    Lovely watch. As recommended above, definitely recommend having it carefully serviced by a Vintage Specialist.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Milano, IT
    Posts
    231

    Re: 1950's Rolex Oysterdate Identification

    Quote Originally Posted by morningtundra View Post
    I'm pretty sure the acrylic crystals had a cyclops originally (all mine from this period do). I'm wondering if this is what makes the date font look a little off? There is variety in date wheel fonts from this period and I think yours looks plenty good enough for the character of the watch.

    The hands would be "alpha" or "sword" style, with tritium lume and matching color to the hour markers (gold). Sets can be found on Ebay for under $100. You'll need to know the calibre to be sure to find a set that fits (1215 or 1225 I'm guessing). If you have a set, they're inexpensive to replace.

    The Super Oyster crown is pretty unusual. They're less than "waterproof" and have commonly been replaced during service. I'd definitely plan to keep it and just avoid getting it too wet.

    Lovely watch. As recommended above, definitely recommend having it carefully serviced by a Vintage Specialist.
    Good to know that the Super Oyster crown is a common replacement, I've seen more than one 6094 with that same crown instead of the classic underlined Rolex crown and that makes a lot of sense. Also, seems like quite a few 6094s came without cyclops, especially the ones without the gilt frame on the date window. But then again, seems like you own more than one so I trust your reasonable pov

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 3
      Last Post: October 19th, 2013, 23:09
    2. SOLD. Vintage 1950's Rolex Oysterdate Precision 6466
      By gatsuk in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: October 11th, 2013, 02:14
    3. SS Bracelet for a Rolex Oysterdate 6694
      By Dapper Dan in forum WTB - Wanted to Buy
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: May 22nd, 2007, 22:18
    4. Rolex Oysterdate 6964 - vintage
      By turning time in forum Rolex & Tudor
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: December 20th, 2006, 01:56
    5. Rolex Oysterdate Precision 6694
      By cricketer in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: September 28th, 2006, 13:26

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •