1950s Timex Marlin - Is it close?
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By TheCowWatcher
  • 2 Post By ManOnTime
  • 1 Post By TheCowWatcher
  • 4 Post By bubba48
  • 1 Post By PanchoTheWatchman
  • 1 Post By TheCowWatcher

Thread: 1950s Timex Marlin - Is it close?

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member TheCowWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    204

    1950s Timex Marlin - Is it close?

    This is the most recent addition. For it's age, I must say it is in fairly good shape. It will need a good servicing at some point but the patina is a plus for me.

    So my main question, is it truly a Marlin? I am still researching the pre 70's Timex movements but this has been difficult to identify accurately. Thanks!


    Name:  20180625_174908_1529967332727.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  3.33 MBName:  20180625_174849_1529967351149.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  736.9 KBName:  20180625_174240_1529967371310.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  1.30 MBName:  20180625_174519_1529967391565.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  4.53 MBName:  20180625_175903_1529967568606.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  763.0 KB
    busmatt likes this.

  2. #2
    Member GradyPhilpott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Posts
    458

    Re: 1950s Timex Marlin - Is it close?

    I read something recently from someone who claims to know whereof he speaks that all Marlin watches are water-resistant and will say so on the watch somewhere. If it doesn't say "waterproof" or "water-resistant," then it isn't a Marlin.

    The name Marlin was chosen to denote water-resistance, according to this source.
    If life was fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead.-- Johnny Carson

  3. #3
    Member ManOnTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,829

    Re: 1950s Timex Marlin - Is it close?

    Quote Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
    I read something recently from someone who claims to know whereof he speaks that all Marlin watches are water-resistant and will say so on the watch somewhere. If it doesn't say "waterproof" or "water-resistant," then it isn't a Marlin.

    The name Marlin was chosen to denote water-resistance, according to this source.
    This is correct. All Marlin's pre-1968 had "Waterproof" on the dial, and "Water Resistant" post-1968.

    The watch you have is a Mercury.
    yankeexpress and busmatt like this.
    Contact Info:
    Telegram: MoT
    Text: 6124245149
    WhatsApp: +16124245149
    'You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.' - Ray Bradbury
    'Freedom is hammered out on the anvil of debate, discussion, and dissent.' - H.H.H.
    I love deals on watches!

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member TheCowWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    204
    Great information! Hopefully will help others as well.

    Probably not worth servicing at this point but still neat to have in the collection. Thanks again for the straight forward info I seemed to have had trouble finding.
    busmatt likes this.

  6. #5
    Member yankeexpress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    32,356

    Re: 1950s Timex Marlin - Is it close?

    Don’t go anywhere near water with that Mercury....no hand washing in the sink, no washing dishes, no wearing it in the rain, no humid days, as it WILL fog up and rust the innards. Happened to me. Fogged up in the rain, never worked again.

    There is absolutely NO vapor barrier in that watch whatsoever.

  7. #6
    Member TheCowWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    204
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    Don’t go anywhere near water with that Mercury....no hand washing in the sink, no washing dishes, no wearing it in the rain, no humid days, as it WILL fog up and rust the innards. Happened to me. Fogged up in the rain, never worked again.

    There is absolutely NO vapor barrier in that watch whatsoever.
    Good point. Every day has been a steam shower here so I don't wear anything unless to a clean event. Can't wear anything at work or when wrenching in the garage either.

  8. #7
    Member bubba48's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Milan - Italy
    Posts
    2,461

    Re: 1950s Timex Marlin - Is it close?

    Yes, Marlin was waterproof

    Name:  53_06.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  198.1 KB

    Name:  53_09.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  214.0 KB

    Name:  54_01.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  201.2 KB

    Name:  56_04.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  175.8 KB

    Name:  56_09.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  136.5 KB

    And shock resistant

    Name:  54_06.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  152.5 KB

    Name:  53_10.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  197.4 KB

    Name:  Clipboard01.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  200.8 KB

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    222

    Re: 1950s Timex Marlin - Is it close?

    Quote Originally Posted by bubba48 View Post
    Yes, Marlin was waterproof

    Name:  53_06.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  198.1 KB

    Name:  53_09.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  214.0 KB

    Name:  54_01.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  201.2 KB

    Name:  56_04.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  175.8 KB

    Name:  56_09.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  136.5 KB

    And shock resistant

    Name:  54_06.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  152.5 KB

    Name:  53_10.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  197.4 KB

    Name:  Clipboard01.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  200.8 KB
    Oh Man, Love these old ads!!! Takes me back to my youth and the old Barbershop!!! Thank you. Pancho
    ManOnTime likes this.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    222

    Re: 1950s Timex Marlin - Is it close?

    Quote Originally Posted by bubba48 View Post
    Yes, Marlin was waterproof

    Name:  53_06.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  198.1 KB

    Name:  53_09.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  214.0 KB

    Name:  54_01.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  201.2 KB

    Name:  56_04.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  175.8 KB

    Name:  56_09.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  136.5 KB

    And shock resistant

    Name:  54_06.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  152.5 KB

    Name:  53_10.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  197.4 KB

    Name:  Clipboard01.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  200.8 KB
    Oh Man, Love these old ads!!! Takes me back to my youth and the old Barbershop!!! Thank you. Pancho

  11. #10
    Member TheCowWatcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    204
    Agreed love the ads! Fantastic info
    ManOnTime likes this.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Timex Marlin Parts
      By HenMaster6000 in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: August 25th, 2018, 18:43
    2. WTB Timex Marlin reproduction
      By Cappy in forum WTB - Wanted to Buy
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: August 2nd, 2010, 07:12
    3. Grandpa's 1950-ish Timex Marlin
      By Cappy in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 17
      Last Post: March 17th, 2010, 05:52
    4. Looking for a Timex Marlin
      By HenMaster6000 in forum Vintage & Pocket watches
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: April 22nd, 2009, 23:04
    5. Help! Trying to get Timex Marlin Repro
      By Cappy in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: April 8th, 2009, 03:37

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •