1951 Tudor-Rolex Royal
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DaBaeker

Thread: 1951 Tudor-Rolex Royal

1951 Tudor-Rolex Royal

Hey,
    Today I purchased a Tudor-Rolex Royal watch from an auction and the face and you can tell from the pictures is a bit worse for wear and was wondering whether you guys have any suggestions on whether to leave it as it is or replace the crystal. Also the crown does not have the rolex 'stamp' as other tudor's do so was wondering whether this has been replaced with the gold one in the picture shown.
    I don't know whether I paid over the odds at £220 but I am sure I will enjoy it anyway :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: 1951 Tudor-Rolex Royal

Well the face looks OK to me from the picture. Crystal replacement is fairly cheap - about £10 at a watchmaker's - and a new crown might be worth it. We don't do valuations, but I certainly don't think you've overpaid for a solid gold Tudor.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

I avoid 'high demand' collectibles like Rolex/Tudor et.al. They cost too much and are often frankensteins that I can't detect because I don't know enough about them. For example, I suspect the case as well as the crown are non-original - but I don't know enough to be even 50% sure. That bothers me...

Oh well... that price is not a bargain for a 9kt case but the watch does look pretty! And it is not a rip off price either. So I would enjoy it. Hope you do too!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm not sure a Tudor in a non-oyster case would necessarily have the rolex signed crown or buckle; normally, I only see those on the oyster models. For this one, I'd want to pop the case back and confirm the hallmarks. Tudors are basic swiss ebauches that aren't really any better then any other decent quality sub-brand, but they're usually way overpriced due to their association with Rolex. Me, I wouldn't pay Mercedes Benz prices for a Smart car, even if they are made by the same company. You did well to get this, if it isn't a franken. And honestly even if. 9k isn't a <lot> of gold, but even a little gold is worth a fortune. Melters are even buying gold-filled cases these days.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I would add. I agree others dial (and hands) look very good to me - I would leave that, but look for a new old stock crown
    220 Pounds is an OK price - gold wise its worth about 80 to 100 pounds, so the movement if it is a Rolex Tudor at 120 pounds is OK

ENJOY it. Its a nice buy
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Thank you so much for the replies guys, so as you can tell the crystal is really scratched so am I able to go into any watch shop and they will be able to replace it or do I need any specifics?
    Also once the watch is officially in my hands I shall pop the back off and take some good pictures of the movement to post on here. Also roughly how much is a New old stock crown; is it worth the added expense?
    Thanks guys :)

I think you will pick up a crown not so expensive - try ebay.
    If its too much you have the option to leave as is
    Enjoy the watch
    adam
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Money1402 View Post
    Thank you so much for the replies guys, so as you can tell the crystal is really scratched so am I able to go into any watch shop and they will be able to replace it or do I need any specifics?
    Also once the watch is officially in my hands I shall pop the back off and take some good pictures of the movement to post on here. Also roughly how much is a New old stock crown; is it worth the added expense?
    Thanks guys :)
    Just take the watch to a competent watchmaker wit vintage experience. Have it cleaned and serviced and the crystal should be automatically replaced. You can ask the tech how much a crown replcement would cost and if its too much? You can try and source an original crown from ebay (however-if all that was on your Tudor originally was a plain unmarked crown, there may not be any point except to find a new crown that looks like the original which should be VERY cheap and easy to find) A full clean and service without many parts should be between $100 -$200 [usd]
    HOROLOGIST007 likes this.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Very nice find!

As mentioned by other members, a crystal replacement shouldn't cost too much, that's probably the most cost effective repair on any vintage watch that uses acrylic. One thing to keep in mind is the fact that this model does not use an oyster case. During my days in watch repair, I don't recall seeing Rolex stamped crowns on non-oyster, snap-back cased Tudors. Usually those crowns are the screw-down type that require a threaded tube, and this watch doesn't look like it has one. The only stamped crown I can think of that might work would be one from a Rolex Cellini model....but like most members have said, you will pay more for crown that has the logo, and it could very well be that such a crown might not be original to the watch.
    Omar Montaño

"The best way to observe a fish is to become a fish" - Jacques-Yves Cousteau

Thread Information