1955 Rolex bracelet original? - Page 2
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: 1955 Rolex bracelet original?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: 1955 Rolex bracelet original?

Since there is a lot of curiosity about the bracelet, let me post an example of how the bracelet should look. This is not a two-tone version, but it gives the general idea. You can see that the OP's end-links may be correct, but that the width of the bracelet links are too wide.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-194...0AAOSw~vpaRfu8

Name:  rolex_bubble.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  411.7 KB
    busmatt, mkws, gizmo1990 and 2 others like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Thanks again for the great info guys.

I popped into a reputable Rolex dealer in Stockholm and showed one of the technicians there the photos, I didn’t have the watch itself on me. As has been mentioned, these types of places have limited knowledge of pieces this old. However, he did seem fairly confident that the watch and strap were all original and offered to open it the next time I visit.
    An interesting comment the guy made regarding the strap was that Rolex weren’t that preoccupied back then (as opposed to the luxury brand now) in absolute design accuracy. That is to say, that quality time pieces back then were more concerned with the movement and quality craftsmanship there of. The external design, such as the strap end links and lug connection were seen as being dependant on functionality first and foremost.

What’s the opinion here regarding that? Looking at badbackdans photo I’m a little more confident that the strap may indeed be an original Rolex. Perhaps it’s just from a different model? Or perhaps it was just fitted incorrectly with a wrong sized end piece?
    Last edited by gizmo1990; January 3rd, 2018 at 15:52.

As I mentioned previously, it is possible that a two-tone riveted bracelet meant for a later sports model was adapted for this watch. If so, you are incredibly lucky, since these bracelets have solid gold center links and sides and hence wear out extremely easily (and are therefore often replaced by readily available aftermarket versions with gold plated links, which are cheaper and more sturdy). Frankly, even the SS riveted bracelets wear out quickly because the links are spring-loaded. An authentic Rolex two-tone riveted bracelet in that condition would be worth thousands of USD, even without the correct end links. It would be significantly more valuable than the watch, which is one reason that I doubt it is authentic.

Frankly, I place little value on the technician's opinion since he is just looking at the same photos that we are. However, you should definitely take him up on his offer to open the watch. Take plenty of photos, and also perhaps you can post more photos of the bracelet from various angles as well. Including the inside, the sides, various sides of the clasp, etc.
    mkws and gizmo1990 like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks badbackdan. I'll definitely take some more in depth photos when I get the opportunity, I'm not at home currently.

As an aside, one of the links did in fact come loose and is currently residing in the box.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information