1960 Vintage Bulova
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gjtorres321

Thread: 1960 Vintage Bulova

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    5

    1960 Vintage Bulova

    Hello, first post here, looking for some info on a vintage bulova that was my dad's and his grandfather's. I have found from the date code that it should be from 1960, but haven't found anything else. I'd like to know some more information if possible, and also since it's not running, what something like this would cost to repair. I have a couple quartz watches, but am pretty much new to watches as a whole. Thanks in advance!

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    busmatt likes this.

  2. #2
    Member bsshog40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Tx.
    Posts
    2,135

    Re: 1960 Vintage Bulova

    The back will just pop off. Just get a caseback knife or a thin blade knife and pop up the back where the little lip is showing at the end of the case. The movement, with dial, should be sotting in the case when you open it. Just grab the edges of the dial and it should lift out of the case. You will then expose the movement which will have a model number on it. This will at least give you some info on the movement.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

  3. #3
    Member YuriyV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    462

    Re: 1960 Vintage Bulova

    Since it is heirloom, be careful with it.
    If you are not experienced in watches, I'd suggest to not to proceed with opening it. At least you can scratch the case.
    If you plan to wear it, it is strongly recommended to overhaul it.
    Service for this manual winding watch could be from $75 to $150, depending where you are.
    The serviceman will open it and can provide info about the model.
    Vintage Zodiac addict.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member odd_and_vintage_fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    PA, USA
    Posts
    2,243

    Re: 1960 Vintage Bulova

    A 14kt gold case is nice and I've heard good things about their 23 jewel movements. Must have been a special watch when it was new.

    The closest I was able to find on mybulova was a 1965 Goldcraft C. Page 3 of the 1960s, image 26 of 36.
    Vintage Bulova Adverts | myBulova.com

    Provided nothing's broken in the movement, roughly $100 to $150 for the repair is what I budget for a handwind. Depends where you are, of course. I send mine to someone in western Pennsylvania because the local shop has let me down in the past.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,185

    Re: 1960 Vintage Bulova

    This is a nice watch.


    Solid gold cased watches are almost always worth spending the money to have serviced(especially in the condition yours is in)


    Is it a 23 Jewel Automatic (part of the Bulova 23 line)? or is it a manual wind watch? Ether way, parts are easy to be gotten as these were common movements with a lot of watches made

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    5

    Re: 1960 Vintage Bulova

    Quote Originally Posted by bsshog40 View Post
    The back will just pop off. Just get a caseback knife or a thin blade knife and pop up the back where the little lip is showing at the end of the case. The movement, with dial, should be sotting in the case when you open it. Just grab the edges of the dial and it should lift out of the case. You will then expose the movement which will have a model number on it. This will at least give you some info on the movement.
    I'm honestly too nervous to try and take out the movement. I actually popped of the back before, but crystal and top came off from the movement and I did t want to damage the dial or hand trying to get them out of the case back.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    5

    Re: 1960 Vintage Bulova

    Quote Originally Posted by YuriyV View Post
    Since it is heirloom, be careful with it.
    If you are not experienced in watches, I'd suggest to not to proceed with opening it. At least you can scratch the case.
    If you plan to wear it, it is strongly recommended to overhaul it.
    Service for this manual winding watch could be from $75 to $150, depending where you are.
    The serviceman will open it and can provide info about the model.
    That's what I was thinking, I'd hate to end up doing more damage

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    5

    Re: 1960 Vintage Bulova

    Quote Originally Posted by odd_and_vintage_fan View Post
    A 14kt gold case is nice and I've heard good things about their 23 jewel movements. Must have been a special watch when it was new.

    The closest I was able to find on mybulova was a 1965 Goldcraft C. Page 3 of the 1960s, image 26

    Provided nothing's broken in the movement, roughly $100 to $150 for the repair is what I budget for a handwind. Depends where you are, of course. I send mine to someone in western Pennsylvania because the local shop has let me down in the past.
    Well that's great to hear, and that Goldcraft is closer than anything I have been able to find to how mine looks. Thank you!

    Does the person you use have a place to contact them? I am going to look around my area but there's not to many watch repair places from a quick online search and I want to make sure my watch is in good hands.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    5

    Re: 1960 Vintage Bulova

    Quote Originally Posted by journeyforce View Post
    This is a nice watch.


    Solid gold cased watches are almost always worth spending the money to have serviced(especially in the condition yours is in)


    Is it a 23 Jewel Automatic (part of the Bulova 23 line)? or is it a manual wind watch? Ether way, parts are easy to be gotten as these were common movements with a lot of watches made
    Yeah, it means a lot to me and I want to get it in nice working condition and maybe polished up a bit. My dad has passed away, so I want to get it fixed up and on a nice strap to wear to my wedding.

    It's a manual wind I believe, I've tried winding it but the crown won't turn clockwise.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

  11. #10
    Member bsshog40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Tx.
    Posts
    2,135

    Re: 1960 Vintage Bulova

    Quote Originally Posted by gjtorres321 View Post
    Yeah, it means a lot to me and I want to get it in nice working condition and maybe polished up a bit. My dad has passed away, so I want to get it fixed up and on a nice strap to wear to my wedding.

    It's a manual wind I believe, I've tried winding it but the crown won't turn clockwise.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    I completely understand you being nervous with it being a cherished heirloom my friend. I would find a good watchmaker and just let them take care of it. Very nice looking watch and once serviced will be even more cherished knowing you got it ticking again.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. !!!!!!!!SOLD!!!!!FS Vintage Bulova Accutron M0 1960's Spaceview...
      By akira23 in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: September 23rd, 2010, 16:48
    2. 1960s Vintage Nivada Grenchen Depthomatic - All Original!
      By eelpie in forum Watches - Private sellers and Sponsors
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: April 3rd, 2007, 14:57
    3. Replies: 0
      Last Post: March 10th, 2007, 15:39
    4. Vintage Bulova - value???
      By thestumper in forum Vintage & Pocket watches
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: December 8th, 2006, 23:48
    5. WTB: Box set for my late 1960s vintage Speedmaster...
      By TomS in forum WTB - Wanted to Buy
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: September 2nd, 2006, 23:47

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •