1960s Camy with Alarm and Bronze Casing

Thread: 1960s Camy with Alarm and Bronze Casing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1960s Camy with Alarm and Bronze Casing

Dear Vintage Watchuseekers,
    I just want to share my newly serviced and restored 17 jewel Camy watch. You might also know some info and background on it that you may want to share. It has two crowns, the one below is for setting time and winding and the other for a mechanical alarm. Both crowns have the Camy insignia. The alarm has a buzzing sound, and it's not as loud as my Revue Thommen Cricket's alarm.

The casing is also bronze, I think. I don't know if brass was used for casing because both metals look alike and has certain copper content. Before it was serviced, the casing was dark brown; after the service and cleaning, it was golden yellow. I think Camy is still around too. It has a Hong Kong office, and I'm not certain if this model came from the 60s or 70s.

The second crown's plating faded, but it still looks fine to the overall look of the watch. It has been keeping good time too. I don't know what movement it has. The Camy originally had a dark brown strap, but I placed a black crocodile to give it an elegant direction. Thanks for viewing my thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: 1960s Camy with Alarm and Bronze Casing

Thank you for posting. I am not that familiar with Camy but the case design of the watch would date it to the late 1960s at the earliest. I'd guess 1970s to be more likely.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

The movement in your watch is an AS (A. Schild) caliber 1475. This was a very commonly used alarm movement and was made from 1954-1970. You can learn more about it here: AS 1475

The case on your watch is likely made of brass which has been gold-plated. This is likely marked on the case somewhere, perhaps between the lugs. The reason the case appeared brownish before service is that gold alloy plating will tarnish over time. When your watch was serviced no doubt the case was cleaned and lightly polished to removed the tarnish and restore the gold color.

I'd agree with Ray that this watch dates to around 1970 or so.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's a really neat watch - one I'd buy.

BTW, Camy was founded in 1913, by the Stroun brothers in Grenchen, Switzerland.

Last edited by Marrick; March 19th, 2008 at 17:31.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The reason why the Vulcain "Cricket" is so loud is the double bottom, the outer of the two having holes so that the noise can get through. That way, there is never anything dampening the "sounding board", i.e. the inner bottom, such as a wrist. Revue Thommen used AS movements in their Crickets after Vulcain had been phased out and the Vulcain movements had run out and they were just as loud.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by JimH View Post
    The movement in your watch is an AS (A. Schild) caliber 1475. This was a very commonly used alarm movement and was made from 1954-1970. You can learn more about it here: AS 1475

The case on your watch is likely made of brass which has been gold-plated. This is likely marked on the case somewhere, perhaps between the lugs. The reason the case appeared brownish before service is that gold alloy plating will tarnish over time. When your watch was serviced no doubt the case was cleaned and lightly polished to removed the tarnish and restore the gold color.

I'd agree with Ray that this watch dates to around 1970 or so.
    Hi JimH and Ray,
    There is some inscription between the lugs, and attached is its picture. "PLAQUE G20 EPSA", it says. The watch is kind of heavy; that's why I thought the casing was bronze. 'was thinking of the early 70s too in terms of design but needed inputs to be certain. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marrick View Post
    That's a really neat watch - one I'd buy.

BTW, Camy was founded in 1913, by the Stroun brothers in Grenchen, Switzerland.
    1913? Wow, I thought Camy just emerged in the 50s or 60s. I'm keeping this one though Marrick. Thanks for the info. There's a 50s Titus though from me in the private sellers forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    The reason why the Vulcain "Cricket" is so loud is the double bottom, the outer of the two having holes so that the noise can get through. That way, there is never anything dampening the "sounding board", i.e. the inner bottom, such as a wrist. Revue Thommen used AS movements in their Crickets after Vulcain had been phased out and the Vulcain movements had run out and they were just as loud.

Hartmut Richter
    I've read it has a patented resonance chamber to make the alarm loud. I once left the Cricket accidentally set in the office, and when it alarmed, everybody was looking at me... alarmed. "It's small but loud", they said... like a cricket, I guess. Anyway, the Camy has a non-abrasive buzzing sound like a bee compared to the Cricket. You have to let the alarm crown winded and up for it to alarm unlike the Cricket wherein you have the crown down.

Quote Originally Posted by alexiscabel View Post
    Hi JimH and Ray,
    There is some inscription between the lugs, and attached is its picture. "PLAQUE G20 EPSA", it says. The watch is kind of heavy; that's why I thought the casing was bronze. 'was thinking of the early 70s too in terms of design but needed inputs to be certain. Thanks.
    Folks figured this out once before... all it is saying is a company with the initials EPSA plated 20 microns of gold onto the case. EPSA appears to have done it's work in Switzerland.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information