1960s German Alpha (Stowa mvt) - info?

Thread: 1960s German Alpha (Stowa mvt) - info?

1960s German Alpha (Stowa mvt) - info?

I just picked up this late 1960s German-made Alpha at a local watch show. Its in new condition, has a dark blue dial, diameter of 35mm, and says "17 Jewels, Shockproof, Germany." I didn't take a photo of the movement because I wasn't sure how to open the back (or put it back), and don't want to mess it up.

Other than that, I don't know anything else! Does anyone know what model this is, or any other details? Thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by jbetts1790; April 11th, 2010 at 17:52.
    • Omega Speedmaster Pro • Stowa 1938 Chronograph Homemade Flieger & PAM Homages • Orient Blue Mako

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: 1960s German Alpha - info?

If you are sure that it is a German made Alpha, the most likely candidate is the factory owned by Max Andres in Schwenningen in the Black Forest:

http://www.mikrolisk.de/show.php?site=280#sucheMarker

In that case, it will probably have a manual generic German movement (obviously without date), probably something by Durowe or PUW, possibly Otero, Kasper or one of the other makers.

Hartmut Richter

Thanks for the help!

I was able to gently remove the back case, and found "Stowa Germany" on the back cover, and "Seventeen 17 Jewels - Stowa Germany - Unadjusted" on the movement itself.

There are also a few numbers lower down in the movement, but I can't quite read them without a loupe. All I know about Stowa is that they make very fine watches, but I don't really know about their history, or why this "Alpha" has a Stowa movement. Is this pretty common, or did I find something unique? If this information helps anyone with more knowledge, let me know!
    Attached Images Attached Images

• Omega Speedmaster Pro • Stowa 1938 Chronograph Homemade Flieger & PAM Homages • Orient Blue Mako

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi!

That´s a DuRoWe 7420, (marked with "INT", from the time DuRoWe had been a part of the ESA), so the watch is from 1972 or younger. I don´t know why the movement is branded with Stowa - maybe Alpha had been a brandname used by a member of the Pallas Deutsche Uhrencooperation, a cooperation of German watch factories(Adora, Exquisit, Eppo, Orma, Para and Stowa), founded 1971. Or Stowa sold a number of movements to another factory.
    Max Andres is surely a wrong trace, they produced toys and alarm clocks, no wristwatches and their brandmark had been a logo with Alpha inner a star. The brandname Alpha(just the typing without a star) had been registered in 1905 for a company called Thomas-Ernst Haller, but it´s unknown how long they existed.
    Since 1993, the brandname has been used by a Chinese company.
    Best regards, Mike

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Quote Originally Posted by mike184 View Post
    Hi!

That´s a DuRoWe 7420, (marked with "INT", from the time DuRoWe had been a part of the ESA), so the watch is from 1972 or younger. I don´t know why the movement is branded with Stowa - maybe Alpha had been a brandname used by a member of the Pallas Deutsche Uhrencooperation, a cooperation of German watch factories(Adora, Exquisit, Eppo, Orma, Para and Stowa), founded 1971. Or Stowa sold a number of movements to another factory.
    Max Andres is surely a wrong trace, they produced toys and alarm clocks, no wristwatches and their brandmark had been a logo with Alpha inner a star. The brandname Alpha(just the typing without a star) had been registered in 1905 for a company called Thomas-Ernst Haller, but it´s unknown how long they existed.
    Since 1993, the brandname has been used by a Chinese company.
    As far as I know, Durowe was integrated into the ESA under the designation INT in 1965 rather than the early seventies. As for Haller, I looked up "Alpha" in Mikrolisk and found two main references: Andres and Haller. You are probably right about Andres but Haller is given as a maker of clocks, not watches so I discarded it on those grounds.....

Hartmut Richter

Hi Hartmut!

Maybe I wasn´t clear enough - DuRoWe came to ESA AFAIK in 1966, that´s right of course. The caliber 7420 came out in 1972 and that´s the reason why the watch can´t be older.
    Best regards, Mike

Very interesting! Thanks Hartmut and Mike for the info. The movement does match the 7420 you provided in the link. I'm curious if this watch worth anything? I didn't pay that much for it, so I would assume its not rare, or not really a collectible. I just thought it looked neat, and in excellent condition for being vintage.

Wink Re: 1972s German Alpha (Stowa mvt) - info?

Hi!

It´s rare. And it has a value and is collectible, but of course you have to find s.o. who collects German vintages. And of course not the same league as e.g. Omega and other Swiss brands with high demand for. You can watch the German bay for vintage Stowas to get an imagination of the prices they go for.
    Last edited by mike184; April 15th, 2010 at 02:18.
    Best regards, Mike

Thread Information