1960s HMT Jarwan - fake/ replica
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: 1960s HMT Jarwan - fake/ replica

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1960s HMT Jarwan - fake/ replica

Here is a new purchase of mine: an 1960s HMT Jarwan (fake/ replica)...........or is it 1970s....or 1980s or.....

HMT Jarwan (Replica)
    17 jewels manual wind, Made in India

Jarwan means soldier in Hindi, more particularly an infantryman. But it’s literal translation is young or youth. These watches were used by Indian Millitary in 1971 during India/Pak war. Since India was part of the British Commonwealth they kept the British "Broad Arrow" symbol on their military issued watches even after independence. Or so as I can find from the inter-web......

eBay is awash with fakes and replicas of these and this is a fake/replica, but I knew this from just looking at the photos before I bought it. Note the crudely hand engraved Broad Arrow on the case back! It is so badly done that it is crooked! Real military issued watches would have the Broad Arrow cast into the case back during manufacture, and it wouldn't be crooked! :D But for 8 quid you can't argue. Genuine ones seems to go for 60 quid upwards which is way too much.

I call this a "fake/ replica" because it is a genuine HMT mocked up to look like the military Jarwan model. HMT have been making the civilian version of this watch since the early 1960s and are still making them today. So what you see here is either an actual old vintage HMT watch that has been redialled with the military dial and crudely engraved on the back. Or a brand new HMT watch that has been redialed with the military dial and crudely engraved on the back.
    In car terms it is like getting a standard vintage car and modifying it to look like the sports version of that model back in the day.

Anyway it is a very smart watch with a workhorse of a movement (based on an old Citizen movement) and it keeps very accurate time. I might stick it on a dessert green NATO strap for that WW2 desert rat look. (yes I know WW2 would have had the leather wrist band type strap...)

Last edited by Smoking Joe; December 19th, 2012 at 00:44.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: 1960s HMT Jarwan - fake/ replica

Looking at the night time picture, it is obviously not just a replica. The dial superluminova is quite strong and therefore applied recently, the stuff on the hands glows rather less strongly (Tritium?!). I therefore suspect that the watch is older and has been done up recently, including a redial (at which point the arrow symbol must also have been added). OK, so 8 quid is certainly not a lot - but they might have gone to the trouble of reluming the hands as well then!

Hartmut Richter

For £8 its a bargain having a mechanical piece on your wrist and its not a bad looking watch and is usable at night. I am not a purist but yes suspect its had some work done.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Definitely looks like the Lume has been reapplied and even looks like a little on the hour minute hand, based on the color difference, although may be a trick of the light, also I have never seen that arrow on the dial before, although that may be something I just haven't seen, also the crystal (even though I don't think it's crystal) looks perfect, so that may have been replaced as well.
    I'm no expert but I've been researching these a lot lately so I hope this helps, still nice though definitely

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I love the arrow carved in the case back too, that's awesome, haha

Quote Originally Posted by Benay148 View Post
    I love the arrow carved in the case back too, that's awesome, haha

The photo doesn't do it justice of just how crooked that arrow is! It's done so badly it is funny!
    But I knew what I was buying. I am actually impressed at how clean the movement is as I was expecting it to be filthy or rusty, etc. For 8 quid you can't go wrong.

I've been wearing it this week and timing it against my mobile phone it has lost 60 seconds over 7 days. So that is -8 secs a day. I don't think that is too bad? I may play with it and advance the timing to see how accurate I can get it.

Sir what u got was a replica no doubt, that is indeed the HMT pilot redone as a jawan.. Pilot is a good deal and congrats on ur buy.. Check the pics of my pilot..
    Name:  281922_10151144753538908_1049031277_n.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  59.6 KB
    Name:  557122_10151002034478908_1897669951_n.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  68.7 KB

I'm resurrecting this thread as after spending 8 quid on this watch and letting it sit in my watch box for 2 years, I finally took it out just for the "what are you doing thread" And I finally fitted a NATO strap last week which has brought a new lease of life to the watch. I'm really enjoying wearing it as much as any Omega! Fake or replica, call it what you will, but it is still a cool looking vintage watch and it keeps very good time. It has really grown on me.

As it came with "genuine leather" strap which burnt like a plastic bag when I put a lighter to it last week!

Now with a new lease of life:

Last edited by Smoking Joe; May 16th, 2014 at 01:21.
    fatehbajwa likes this.

By the way, what exactly is a Quid anyway? Is it the same as a Pound Sterling or is it a fraction of one?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information