1960's Square Gold Roamer Watch Identification

Thread: 1960's Square Gold Roamer Watch Identification

1960's Square Gold Roamer Watch Identification

I recently inherited this gold Roamer with a square face that does not quite match any others that I have seen online. I believe that the watch was purchased around 1969 probably in Europe. The movement is mechanical and the case is square with an acrylic crystal that looks like it's glued to the face, I'm not sure if that's how it was originally made, and I'd like to eventually replace it since it's a little worn. The case measures about .94" square. The back of the case is marked 14k, 0.585, and 127. The band is marked 14kt SP, Elasta 63. I appreciate any thoughts that you have on helping identify my watch.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by ECS8; January 5th, 2013 at 02:12. Reason: Added Photos

Re: 1960's Square Gold Roamer Watch Identification

It is 14kt white gold in the case. I suspect the same in the bracelet. Without a movement pic not much else can be said except it probably dates from around 1960-70. The original crystal was not glued to the case, of that I am fairly sure

Roamer makes good stuff but most Americans have not heard of it so they do not trade on eBay for anything near their 'true' value.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thanks for responding,
    The case and band appear to be yellow gold, I don't think that was very clear in my last photos. I managed to get the watch apart and get photos of the movement and the inside of the case which I have added to my original post above.

It looks like the watch is has a 15 jewel movement the inside of the case is marked 18674. It looks like the original crystal may have been set into a slight recess in the top of the case, but its hard to tell with the current one that is glued in place. The watch seems to keep good time but should probably be serviced and the case needs a good cleaning in addition to a proper crystal which may be tough to find. I'm wondering if the value of the watch would justify getting this work done.

Thanks for the help

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

JIC

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: MST 401

compensated balance is not all ok, but i think maybe this one
    Hay que arreglarse, es lo que hay

We don't do valuations. There is a post up top saying why. But a gold watch is always worth melt plus a premium, if working.

The crystal should be no problem. Find a watchmaker who has crystal catalogs. It is a rare watch which won't take a replacement crystal. "should probably be serviced" should read "needs service".

Dr. Ranfft has a movement archive (google is your friend). I am sure this 15 jeweled winder is in there. I'd look but don't now have the inclination or time. (I'm posting this response due to a PM so I assume the OP wants something quick ) Maybe one of the wizards will post a follow on with the ID. [Edit... Already has been done. LOL]

The watch should clean up nicely!
    Last edited by Eeeb; January 5th, 2013 at 03:39.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Thread Information