1960s Steel Revue watch Vintage or Fake?

Poll: Do you think this is a predecessor to the Revue Thommen or just a fake?

Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By Rod Southworth
  • 1 Post By mkws
  • 3 Post By Roland Ranfft
  • 1 Post By Rod Southworth
  • 3 Post By mkws

Thread: 1960s Steel Revue watch Vintage or Fake?

1960s Steel Revue watch Vintage or Fake?

Hi There, I'm new to buying vintage watches but hoping to learn some more... Can anyone help me to identify whether this is the real deal, what should I be looking for in a Vintage Revue and do they hold themselves up against the other mid range luxury watchmakers?

Name:  Revue3.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  37.9 KBName:  Revue1.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  59.2 KBName:  Revue2.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  97.9 KB

Thanks for any expertise you can offer.
    busmatt and bobbee like this.

Re: 1960s Steel Revue watch Vintage or Fake?

First of all, what you should look for is a listing with a picture of the movement. Without it, it's hard to say anything. On the outside, it looks legit- it even has the signed crown. I have a bit of a hard time telling if it's a redial or a perfectly original dial in a great condition. The "Revue" inscription looks strange, but then again, I have seen really little Revue watches from the 60s- from the 40s and 50s yes, but I haven't really taken any interest in their later models.
    Rod Southworth likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Hi Rod,

if you buy a watch, you can (with some luck) only be confident that you get what you see.

As the logo in crown and case back are obviously embossed and not milled or etched, you can be sure that both are from Revue, because no faker is crazy enough to make dies for embossing few fakes.

But that was it already; everything else is uncertain.

Bright dials with raised (instead applied) markers and logos, are almost always silvered. Refinishing such dials to the original appearance ist difficult, and thus pretty expensive. Therefore they are usually painted with off-white or silvery lacquer. The photo doesn't actualy allow to diecide whether this ia a badly illuminated silvered dial or a painted dial. Of cource experienced sellers know this all, and some take the pics from an angle an with an illumination which makes the decision impossible. So I suspect that the dial is repainted, although I must admit that it is fairly done.

The next point is the movement: It is simply gambling to buy an old watch without a movement pic. I regard myself es experienced, but it nevertheless happened that I bought an empty case, like reported here:
    Ranfft Watches, Troubles

But even if the seller guarantees that the watch is running well, a movement pic of such Revue is even more important than for many others. After the style the watch was made around 1970, and in this time Revue still applied in-house movements, but for entry models also generic movements from high volume production. From technical point of view the Revie movements are not better than movements from e.g. AS or ETA, but collectors of course appreciate the in-house movements much more, just due to their rarity.

And last not least: In low wage countries it is cheap to refurbish the outer appearance of a watch. But it is even there much too expensive to restore a corroded movement.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    busmatt, bobbee and Rod Southworth like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    First of all, what you should look for is a listing with a picture of the movement. Without it, it's hard to say anything. On the outside, it looks legit- it even has the signed crown. I have a bit of a hard time telling if it's a redial or a perfectly original dial in a great condition. The "Revue" inscription looks strange, but then again, I have seen really little Revue watches from the 60s- from the 40s and 50s yes, but I haven't really taken any interest in their later models.
    Thanks for the words of advice MKWS, really helpful. Rod.
    mkws likes this.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a considered reply Roland, really appreciated. I decided to go ahead with the purchase, it's a nice looking watch... the seller claims that it's 'New Old Stock' - that's why it's in such good shape. What exactly does this mean with respect to vintage watches?? Any idea?
    Last edited by Rod Southworth; June 9th, 2015 at 23:17.

New Old Stock, or NOS, essentially means that the watch, or any other object described as NOS, is factory new, and probably was never worn.
    bobbee, busmatt and Rod Southworth like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thread Information