WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1963 Croton Nivada "CHRONOGRAPH AVIATOR SEA DIVER" first model

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  trim 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

just a quick post on this first model Nivada Chronomaster from 1963, from before they were labelled Chronomaster :think:

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

They all featured the Venus 210, which is a 12.5" chronograph movement, but has some nice features such as not using wire springs. It's a pretty uncommon movement and parts supply is weak.

EDIT: OK, thanks Dan, also came with a Val 92.

This one has been in my todo draw for a long time, waiting on a few parts to come together - this is as close to a before photo as we're going to get:

Metal Coin Fashion accessory Silver Jewellery

I think its sufficient to say that the dial, movement and movement ring, came separately from the case - finding the exactly correct case was unlikely and the finding of it, unplanned (it came in a collect of watchmaker's chronograph cases/junkyard) and something I never thought would happen. Once it did - full speed ahead!

Well, OK, actually 3 more years of sitting in a drawer. o|

Movement service:

Electronics Technology Fashion accessory Electronic device Electronic component

Running

Automotive wheel system Rim Wheel Eye shadow Metal

The pushers in the case were stuck and damaged. To my eye it looks as if someone attempted to remove them with side cutters! Anyway, the size of 4mm head and 2.6mm friction fit is extinct, so I made bushes to fit standard 4mm head with 2.2mm fittings. This is a progress photo, with the original on the left.

Fastener Auto part Screw Automotive tire Nozzle

Cased:

Locket Fashion accessory Watch Jewellery Pocket watch

The new lume on the hands is not a good match, but I can't match the water damage effect from the dial lume, and I do not want to relume the dial. So this is a choice I am happy to live with. I will continue to look for the right sub dial hands.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Strap

Nivada crown

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

Yeah, I'm pretty happy, its not perfect but it is joyfully wearable.

Analog watch Watch Wrist Watch accessory Compass

You can find some more information on these at:

Croton Nivada Grenchen Chronomaster Aviator Sea Diver - Cal.Venus 210

https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/1960s-croton-nivada-grenchen-chronograph?variant=31134177732

It joins my later (3rd gen) Val 23 powered version in my collection (ugh! It is so hard taking photos of black dials, using an iPhone isn't helpful):

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

See less See more
#5 ·
very nice restoration job. There was even a version fitted with the vajoux 234 with the date at 12 as far as I can remember

#12 ·
This kind of restoration work simply astounds me. I can see that one putting a smile on your face when it is strapped on your wrist.

#15 ·
Looking nicely.

Although the hands are relumed and not of the same colour as indices, the effect is pretty cool.

Would be nice if you found original tritium hands for this model one day.
This watch is no trailer queen, it is for wearing so I won't worry about it especially as these hands are super rare in any condition - so I doubt it can happen in my lifetime. Also, these watches are radium not tritium.

I may try a different re-lume on the hands at some point, but there is an art to knowing when is enough and this is the line I'm calling on this one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.