1963 Omega Seamaster 30

Thread: 1963 Omega Seamaster 30

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Member omegaman666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    129

    1963 Omega Seamaster 30

    Hi, I just bought this watch off another member. Just a few quick questions for anyone who might be able to provide an answer. Does the omega cal 286 hack? For some reason I thought it did and this one does not. Second, it is really stiff to wind. What would cause this? Heres some pics! All original according to seller, no restorations, aftermarket this, or aftermarket that. Thanks for your help. Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images




  2. #2
    Member stratct's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Good O'l CT, USA.
    Posts
    2,877
    I don't think any of those older omega movements hack. I wouldn't worry about the stiff winding as long as you can wind it without thinking your going to bust the mainspring
    Stratocasters Rock!

  3. #3
    Member joeuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    west yorkshire, uk
    Posts
    10,556

    Re: 1963 Omega Seamaster 30

    My omega seamaster with the 600 cal inside is stiffer then some watches I own even after a service. Dont know if it does have a hack feature but if its anything like my speedy you cant hack if you wind it up fully so wait till it winds down then pull out the crown and turn anti clockwise with some pressure on the crown ( as if you was trying to put the crown back in)

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member Drop of a Hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Honestly, wherever there's good pie.
    Posts
    8,533
    Quote Originally Posted by joeuk View Post
    My omega seamaster with the 600 cal inside is stiffer then some watches I own even after a service. Dont know if it does have a hack feature but if its anything like my speedy you cant hack if you wind it up fully so wait till it winds down then pull out the crown and turn anti clockwise with some pressure on the crown ( as if you was trying to put the crown back in)
    Just full disclosure, that method of "hacking" can potentially cause serious damage to the movement.

    Sent Via Tapatalk

    (Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)



  6. #5
    Member huntershooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,202

    Re: 1963 Omega Seamaster 30

    Quote Originally Posted by Drop of a Hat View Post
    Just full disclosure, that method of "hacking" can potentially cause serious damage to the movement.

    Sent Via Tapatalk
    That is news to me.
    Please explain "serious damage".

  7. #6
    Member joeuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    west yorkshire, uk
    Posts
    10,556

    Re: 1963 Omega Seamaster 30

    this is a hack method for a speedy and its known a speedy can be hacked by omega.

  8. #7
    Member huntershooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,202

    Re: 1963 Omega Seamaster 30

    I am aware of and use that method of "hacking" for a number of watches (Omega, IWC Zenith, Breitling, etc.).
    I have never heard that it can "potentially cause serious damage". I would be interested in the source of that statement.

  9. #8
    Member joeuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    west yorkshire, uk
    Posts
    10,556

    Re: 1963 Omega Seamaster 30

    Quote Originally Posted by huntershooter View Post
    I am aware of and use that method of "hacking" for a number of watches (Omega, IWC Zenith, Breitling, etc.).
    I have never heard that it can "potentially cause serious damage". I would be interested in the source of that statement.
    Thats my thoughts, and why would the companies make the hack in the first place. You cant damage a non hack watch as it will not hack in the first place. And why would companies explain how to hack them if it did cause damage.

  10. #9
    Member Drop of a Hat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Honestly, wherever there's good pie.
    Posts
    8,533
    I must have misunderstood. Wasn't the process you described a back hack? Because that's what it sounded like.....

    Sent Via Tapatalk

    (Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)



  11. #10
    Member eldarinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    331

    Re: 1963 Omega Seamaster 30

    If you interfere with the ongoing process of the train, you can cause wear over time to any one of these parts or a combination thereof:
    - The stem assembly including the clutch/winding pinion/related gears.
    - The mainspring flow of power and/or its connection with the arbor
    - Unscrewing the crown.

    As earlier suggested, if that was a mechanically good idea, the watch companies would have recommended it and would not invent a relatively complex complication to do the exact job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •