1966 Omega Geneve automatic

Thread: 1966 Omega Geneve automatic

1966 Omega Geneve automatic

Hi,

I've just bought my first vintage Omega and wanted to enquire about it's authenticity. One thing I'm confused about is that the back reads 'seamaster' but the watch is a geneve. Is it possible the back is from a different watch? Here are some pics:

Name:  back2.jpg
Views: 5489
Size:  956.7 KBName:  front2.jpg
Views: 4587
Size:  718.9 KBName:  inside2.jpg
Views: 4777
Size:  816.1 KB

Also, yesterday I noticed that it lost some time. I wound it at 4pm in the evening and slept with it on (to make sure it didn't stop). Currently it seems to have lost about 30 seconds (so thats 30 seconds in 17 hours). Is this normal or does it need to be serviced?

Thanks
    Chris

Re: 1966 Omega Geneve automatic

What is the reference engraved on the inner caseback?
    Anyway your watch needs a service

The 552 movement is a great piece, it will need a service if losing that much time. I am sure these came part of the seamaster range

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by bubba48 View Post
    What is the reference engraved on the inner caseback?
    The reference is 165.002

It's now coming up to about 24 hours and it's lost around 40 seconds. I've only had it a week so I'll take it back to the shop for a service I think.

One more question, how long do these watches generally take to stop working when they are not being worn? Should I expect it to have stopped each morning when I've not worn it overnight?

fjf

If you go to: OMEGA Watches: Vintage Watches Database and introduce the 165.002 there seems to be a different dial. Yours may be a variant. Or have been redialed.

it should last longer but you wil need to fully wind the watch first before wearing it but sounds its in need of a service

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I am very sorry but I have to say that that watch has "Frankenwatch" written all over it. At least the movement - the gold plating should be all of the same colour. Not only do the shades differ but also the rotor and geartrain bridge are yellow gold plated whereas the automatic bridge and main plate are red gold plated. That does not inspire confidence.....

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    I am very sorry but I have to say that that watch has "Frankenwatch" written all over it.
    Yes, I thought as much. Is that necessarily a bad thing and warrants me taking it back to the shop? I think I can live with it myself, though I imagine it's not worth nearly as much as I paid for it.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Well, it's up to you. If you can live with it, there is no reason to take it back. Some people wouldn't touch that sort of thing on principle, others would but the price would have to be right. If you can live with it and think you got it reasonably cheap for what it is, keep it and enjoy it.

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    I am very sorry but I have to say that that watch has "Frankenwatch" written all over it. At least the movement - the gold plating should be all of the same colour. Not only do the shades differ but also the rotor and geartrain bridge are yellow gold plated whereas the automatic bridge and main plate are red gold plated. That does not inspire confidence.....

Hartmut Richter
    Good eye! I missed the color variation. I just knew the back wasnt original for that dial.

Thread Information