1970s/80s Molnija 8 day clock
Like Tree8Likes
  • 4 Post By Smoking Joe
  • 3 Post By Smoking Joe
  • 1 Post By bobbee

Thread: 1970s/80s Molnija 8 day clock

1970s/80s Molnija 8 day clock

Okay I know this isn't a watch but I will post anyway to show my surprise find. My folks house was burgled last week while they were at the shops. The scumbags ransacked the upstairs and stole what they deemed as valuable. As I helping my Mam to go over the mess and see what was taken, I spotted this clock in one of the open drawers. I thought that this was long gone but my Mam kept it all these years!
    I remember as a kid a shop that sold oddities opened in my area and my Mam bought this "8 Day Clock" in it. I remember her winding it each week, and for some reason I was always fascinated by it. The "bezel" always reminded my of a record, the body like an icecube (or a Fox's Glacier Mint) and it helped me learn Roman numerals, and the fact that my Mam told me that it was made in far, far off Russia made it special. Thinking back this would have been in the late '70s or very early '80s. Anyway it ran perfectly for years until one day it stopped. And in an effort to get it going it was over wound. And it then slept in a drawer in my Mam's bedroom for the last couple of decades. The strange thing is that when I pulled it out of the drawer it started in my hand! :-0 I set the time and it kept perfect time for the next 24 hours but it now stopped again and won't wind....

Anyway, here it is as I found it.....I haven't had a chance to dust or clean it. After 20-30s years of sleep, a Molnija 8 day desk clock......

Last edited by Smoking Joe; August 4th, 2014 at 17:23.
    Marrick, radger, bobbee and 1 others like this.

Re: 1970s/80s Molnija 8 day clock

That's seriously cool. Sounds like it needs a service.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

A quick update to this. I finally got around to giving the exterior a good clean and polish. I will get gold paint and redo the roman numerals at a later stage. I opened the back to have a look up the old girl's dress and was nicely surprised. Firstly by how clean the movement is after all these years. And secondly because I always assumed that this was disposable Commie 70's tat and that the movement would be cheap and cheerful jeweless one. But the movement is jewelled! At some stage I will get it serviced and repaired, but either way I will be keeping this.

Last edited by Smoking Joe; September 22nd, 2014 at 23:38.
    bobbee, James A and Marrick like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

This is seriously cool.
    I love this era, and can't make my mind up whether I prefer the 70's or the early twentieth century watches best!

Really cool clock, should be in a cool museum somewhere.
    Now, where could that be...
    Smoking Joe likes this.

Thread Information