1970s Seiko 5 automatic
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: 1970s Seiko 5 automatic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1970s Seiko 5 automatic

Is this watch worth fixing? I paid nothing for this vintage Seiko 6119. The crystal was so scratched that it looked frosted. After having it buffed out I discovered that it has some mechanical issues which I was quoted $140 to fix. The overall look is great even though it has some, ahem, character. Any insight is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: 1970s Seiko 5 automatic

Well, if you really like it, it's worth it, but you can buy a brand new Seiko 5 for about half that online. It won't be vintage, but it'll

probably last a long time. Incidentally, this has kind of a cool looking band... The unfortunate fact is, its just as much labor

for a watchmaker to repair this as it is a very expensive watch, so they charge accordingly.
    Last edited by marks55; July 24th, 2015 at 07:51.
    jmzdbriggs likes this.
    " I like Chiken farming and old clock " --- Anon

It's a nice watch, but I wouldn't pay 140 to fix. Should be able to pick up a decent working vintage 5 on ebay for a good bit less.....and yea.....keep the band. Just one opinion.
    jmzdbriggs likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for the information. I think I am leaning towards getting it repaired. I appreciate your help.

For me the important question is if you really like the watch. If you do, you should have it repaired. Even if it's not worth it in terms of it's value. If it gives you pleasure wearing it, go for it.

Just for curiosity, the "mechanical issues" are that relevant to have a bill of 140?
    jmzdbriggs likes this.

Looks stainless and with protected crown too. 140$ is nothing to have such an unbeatable beater
    jmzdbriggs likes this.
    Chaos is my focus

Have a look on ebay for a seiko with a 6119 movement and swap them.
    jmzdbriggs likes this.

I really don't think you can go wrong either way. I like Seiko 5s. I got a really nice 6119 for 5 dollars at estate sale. Perhaps I was lucky but in checking ebay they are available at not great expense. Now mine runs great but I have no idea when it was last serviced and would probably cost me 150 if and when I might need it serviced. So if your repair also includes a full service and you intend to wear the watch regularly and you really like it, that 140 sounds fine. Again that is assuming you are getting a full service along with repairs.
    jmzdbriggs likes this.

150 just for a service?!?
    It's not all bad to live in a "poor" country. Here in Portugal I usually pay something like 60/70 euros for a service, not including any parts that need replacing. For an automatic movement (the last one was my Certina DS2)!! For an handwind watch I pay even less.

And I'm talking about high quality work, done by a very good professional, because I could get it done for less (but, in my opinion, not recomendable for a good watch).

Ok, my best watches are only handwind Zenith's, Certina DS Automatic's, Enicar Automatic (I have more but not so good). But still I think these are watches very "comparable" to this Seiko in terms of quality and complexity.
    Last edited by pedromoliveira; July 24th, 2015 at 19:28.
    jmzdbriggs likes this.

Now that gives me another great idea. I would love to visit Portugal. It would be worth the price of a plane flight to bring my 30 or so watches over there and have them serviced while vacationing. In my part of the world, it is at least 150 dollars for full service on a manual wind and 200-250 for automatic and more if needs other maintainance like mainspring replacement etc.
    jmzdbriggs likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information