1971 Solid Gold Accutron on eBay - any way to tell whether the box it comes in is original?

Thread: 1971 Solid Gold Accutron on eBay - any way to tell whether the box it comes in is original?

Question 1971 Solid Gold Accutron on eBay - any way to tell whether the box it comes in is original?

I've been looking at this great old Accutron but I was sort of curious as to whether or not there is a way to determine if the box it comes in is really the original box. I'm guessing that info has been lost to the sands of time, but I thought I'd ask here.

Re: 1971 Solid Gold Accutron on eBay - any way to tell whether the box it comes in is original?

Pictures? Link?
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Re: 1971 Solid Gold Accutron on eBay - any way to tell whether the box it comes in is original?

I don't have a pic of my 14k in box of just the box on me. Mine was a one owner with inner and outer boxes. It is a wood box wth a mustard interior. The top has a gold colored rectangle with a gold Accutron logo in the middle.

One of the pics from that weekends hunt.

I can get pics of the box if you need more info.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
    https://www.ThePassthrough.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

ebay.com/itm/1971-PRISTINE-14K-Solid-Gold-Bulova-Accutron-with-Original-Box/272982124660

I don't seem to be able to post links or pictures (new account), so I may not be of any use at all. An ebay search for "1971 Solid Gold Accutron with Original Box" would work as well... now I feel stupid. :(
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well maybe all of that did post, I don't know haha...

Wow, beautiful, thank you very much. The one I'm looking at is definitely an Accutron box, I was sort of mildly curious whether there was a way to tell if it came from the particular Accutron that it's being sold with - kind of a silly question, I know..

Thank you again for the photos

I am not an Accutron expert but I think they would have had boxes for gold that were different from gf. They may have changed styles year to year but other than making a different box for the space view line I think they would not have too many variety.

Maybe someone with more knowledge on Bulova will chime in.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
    https://www.ThePassthrough.com

The box that that Accutron is in may or may not be the original box but it is of the same period and gold Accutrons did come in that style of Accutron box, so if it is not the original then it is good enough. Depending upon the year the box that Accutron watches came in could be wooden (like the one in your pic), wooden with a metal plaque on the top with the Accutron symbol on it, plastic, black with a metal band down the middle, a black box with a leather looking substance on it with a metal band on it (looks like a vintage razor case) or thin and long (like a Hamilton box) where the watch lays flat in it.

Some of the watch boxes had an outer cardboard box with the model number on a sticker

Bulova was not consistent and stores selling Bulova watches tended to pay mix and match with the boxes (especially if the watches were removed from the boxes for putting on display in a counter.

The band is not original and it will damage the lugs. Bulova did offer an expansion band for the Accutron but it was the correct lug width and not a one band fits many lugs style of expansion band.

Thoth, I believe that the walnut box is correct for the solid gold Accutrons. Somewhere, I ran across some info that was collected for Accutron boxes, and I believe I've seen them together as a NOS set also. I was able to acquire the same inner walnut box along with its' outer box as well. I believe it's correct for the '69 or '70 (Can't recall at the moment) solid gold 2182 Accutron I have.

Check either Rob Piker's website mybob.net or Martin Marcus' at accutron214.com.

Eric
    Le temps est un grand maître, dit-on; le malheur est qu'il soit un maître inhumain qui tue ses élèves.
    Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. ~Louis Hector Berlioz

Thread Information