1983 Seiko 5 Automatic- want to know more...
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mkws
  • 2 Post By Velorum

Thread: 1983 Seiko 5 Automatic- want to know more...

1983 Seiko 5 Automatic- want to know more...

Hello there,
    I'd like to know something more about a certain Seiko 5 Automatic. It was bought by my grandfather, when in 1983 he worked on a contract for modernization of electric installations in Baghdad, Iraq. The watch has a day/date window, displaying the day in English and French- depending on the setting, it displays every second position on the day wheel. So... is this a common movement? I also wonder, when the Seiko 5 series was introduced- there are a few generations of those, and I wonder to which one does this piece belong. Here are the pictures. I couldn't take off the case back, though.
    Name:  IMG_3106_zps9d831d6d.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  66.1 KB
    Name:  IMG_3099_zps0c27d978.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  67.2 KB
    Name:  IMG_3098_zps1b83d6c6.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  81.5 KB
    busmatt likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Re: 1983 Seiko 5 Automatic- want to know more...

Seiko's '5' is an entry level watch having certain features - one of them being the daydate display. The movement is a 6309 (as indicated by the reference number 6309-8840), and the serial number begins with a 3, indicating a manufacturing date in 1973 or 1983. Best is you google the reference number to find out more.

Best
    Tomcat
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat1960 View Post
    Seiko's '5' is an entry level watch having certain features - one of them being the daydate display. The movement is a 6309 (as indicated by the reference number 6309-8840), and the serial number begins with a 3, indicating a manufacturing date in 1973 or 1983. Best is you google the reference number to find out more.

Best
    Tomcat
    It's 1983 positively, then. That's when it was bought- actually, it was bought along with another Seiko 5, though the other had golden hands and golden hour markers- two square markers at 12, single squares at 6 and 9. I still keep both watches. I don't really collect Japanese watches, hence my lack of knowledge about them. Thanks for the info!
    mkws
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Still being manufactured and virtually unchanged from one in above pics, the SNXS79K

Amazing value and a great performer - I have been wearing mine daily to work for nearly a year and it performs faultlessly. When I had the dial and hands changed they pressure tested it and told me that it was very well constructed with excellent seals

Last edited by Velorum; August 9th, 2014 at 23:07.
    mkws and busmatt like this.

Thread Information