1st post - Marvin Watch info needed...

Thread: 1st post - Marvin Watch info needed...

GDI

1st post - Marvin Watch info needed...

Any suggestions as to how I could go about finding out about the possible background/value of a watch ? It is a ladies gold w/10 round cut Diamonds with a Marvin movement. My mother has had it for years and understands it to be handmade, possibly in Cuba.

If it is not breaking the rules, I would like to locate a dealer or or collector who could help value it. About 10 years ago a dealer (female) in NYC offered something around $2500 for it - she wasn't ready to sell at the time, but now is and no one can remember the dealers name!

Again, I hope this is not out of bounds (I found out that no talk of value is allowed on some other sites - I suppose to protect the affiliated dealers). If it is, maybe someone can direct me to the right place for such info and I'll delete the post.

Thank you and here are a couple of Pictures...

Re: 1st post - Marvin Watch info needed...

Honestly, there's no one on WUS who would be able to give you an accurate valuation of such a watch. It is really more a piece of fine jewelry than a timepiece.
    We cannot assess the condition of the movement over the Internet, and I suspect much of the watch's value is in the diamonds and gold in any event. Marvin is a respected brand but not truly exceptional, like Patek or Vacheron. Also ladies' watches are less collectible than men's because more men are interested in vintage watches.
    I should think that any respectable and competent estate jeweler would be able to assess the value of the diamonds and gold.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

GDI

Re: 1st post - Marvin Watch info needed...

Thanks for the info Ray...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Honestly, there's no one on WUS who would be able to give you an accurate valuation of such a watch. It is really more a piece of fine jewelry than a timepiece.
    We cannot assess the condition of the movement over the Internet, and I suspect much of the watch's value is in the diamonds and gold in any event. Marvin is a respected brand but not truly exceptional, like Patek or Vacheron. Also ladies' watches are less collectible than men's because more men are interested in vintage watches.
    I should think that any respectable and competent estate jeweler would be able to assess the value of the diamonds and gold.

Thread Information