2 jewel antique French?

Thread: 2 jewel antique French?

2 jewel antique French?

What kind of junk is this? Bought and sold for $100. Runs, did not check movement design.
    Age? Where from?
    Attached Images Attached Images

pej

Re: 2 jewel antique French?

looks pretty awesome to me! Pretty old movement, I'd guess late 1700's - early 1800's

What do the pillars look like? The balance bridge design was common around the 1700's. The use of functional jewels was first patented around 1704, so it could predate that...
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This is going to be interesting The jewels are non-functional? I wonder where it is from?? ...

Nice that it runs. I suspect the non-runners that are ever restored to running is fairly small. But the runners hang around
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Don't know what to make of that with the large 'jewels' set into the plate, decoration
    perhaps. Maybe the stones are a hidden motif which had significance in those far flung days.

The watch, IMO is continental Verge Circa 1800, very reminiscent of Swiss verges of that period,
    with regulator below balance cock which has lost its indicator arm.

Quote Originally Posted by pej View Post
    looks pretty awesome to me! Pretty old movement, I'd guess late 1700's - early 1800's
    I just don't understand why you would think this was junk? It looks fascinating. How well does it run? Why two winding stems? I'll bet its worth a bit more then $100.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

The buyer I sold it to could not make any money with it at $100 Thats why I call it junk. It is only one I have seen with 2 dummy rubies for decoration in movement. Thats why I call it 2 jewel, Completely without visible marking. Actually nice dial and functional. Radger seems to have it right as early Swiss verge missing regulator indicator which uses the winding key to adjust. Probably a $100. value antique novelty.

Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    The buyer I sold it to could not make any money with it at $100 Thats why I call it junk. It is only one I have seen with 2 dummy rubies for decoration in movement. Thats why I call it 2 jewel, Completely without visible marking. Actually nice dial and functional. Radger seems to have it right as early Swiss verge missing regulator indicator which uses the winding key to adjust. Probably a $100. value antique novelty.
    This should be put on the thread about 'what makes a watch valuable... or not..."
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Thread Information