2 new vintage pick-ups. need info on Hammy + a rather inane story which can be skipped to the pics
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 2 new vintage pick-ups. need info on Hammy + a rather inane story which can be skipped to the pics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picture 2 new vintage pick-ups. need info on Hammy + a rather inane story which can be skipped to the pics

Another 'story' -told in around-about way on how I acquired two watches yesterday for nothing as well as a beautiful American seascape in 19hC. frame "48x31".

If you just want to see the pics-you can scroll down to where the pics are-there are plenty of pics. I also need help identifying the type of case on the Ham (i think its a top-loader but not 100%) and anything at all about Lusina Watch Co. would be helpful. Otherwise-read on...but,

Warning*

The following is another long narrative piece I occasionally write for no other reason then I have a lot of energy at night and get some out explaining life occasional little adventures. Yes-it does all tie into the two watches I posted but please! If you just want to see the watches and the photos please scroll down to first pic. I really do have 2 legit questions about these 2 new acquisitions. what type case is Ham and what is Lusida Watch Co.? If you like reading watch fanatic escapades involving other things like art and police-proceed at own risk:

So I have been reading on wus all the members who have recently picked up rather nice old vintage for nothing more then pocket change and naturally was envious over a good few of them. I have already had my fair share of total unbelievable luck and good fortune in my 30yrs of watch collecting along with a few nigtmares as well. I never expect anything to happen again. Yesterday was a rather bizarre day in terms of vintage/antiques and general thrifting versus 'karma'

First: We went out early to a well known area for antiques/thrifting and spent the whole day picking through 100s of things including quite a few old wrist watches a very nice guy named George Hobe-well known Philadelphia/Chestnut Hill Antique dealer. Some very nice-but almost all-including the worst were all priced to high for their ubiquitous styles, names and features. [Mido and Borel the only 2 surprises. That and a beat-to-hell possibly military LeCoutre he wanted over 1k for. Sigh. Even a beat-up <30mm Mido Multiforte was over $60. G.Hobe seems very happy with his shop and life in 'old money' ChestnutHill to bargain any more then a symbolic $10-$15. So we came home with nothing. Nada-not even a simple but nice pair of czech. earrings for my wife. It wasn't so bad really. We didn't feel any urge to by anything and nothing there we absolutely 'loved' {ok. an old walking cane with a shoe carved into handle. lovely. even $100 lovely. I said "how much?" and he held up 4 fingers. I was very pleased and said "i'll give you $40 right now." He said 'not $40. $400! Are you crazy?" Me: "Am I crazy? Your the one that wants $400 for a very skinny cane that may have a split for 400bucks!" As I said-he was hard to not like. He admitted that he indeed was crazy and often turns down reasonable offers when he 'gets the feeling in his neck'.

So we pulled up at home and turn into drive and wife says "who put that frame across street near [Veruska's] trash? It looks like nice frame." I thought immediately it was a cheap chinese-walmart plastic mold of a really nice 19thC. frame with its cardboard print still in it. I took another 10 steps and in a split second I felt like the pink panther absconding with the frame and painting in a flash and zoomed it back into our home with wife scratching her head about how weird I was acting. "what the hell is wrong with it? Are you skulking?" "Shhh!.....Inside...now."

Side notes]: We middle agers half to take our excitement where we can. Skulking around at dusk with some old art may have to last a while till our next exciting incident. (Although wife did nearly get thrown in the can last sunday for refusing to stop telling (and 'telling' is a generous description) the young nervous and fresh-out-of-academy city cop why he "had no right" to pull me over and she was (3 glasses of pinot grigio deep) going to call "the Mayor right now! I know him and don't think he'll be happy and..." OY!. She does know the mayor but seriously...Sunday? 11:55pm? Nuh-uh. The distraction from my overly assertive wife was almost worse. I had to manage my deaf dog in the car who first- jumped out of the car to follow the wife who I ordered to go back to ______'s(our friends_). Too bad the dog was attached to the 26' extendy-leash and was caught through the door-jam. And of course-the young cop had to be the scared-of-dogs-type-or said he didn't "do dogs" and at the same time ordered me to stay in vehicle-which I couldn't do because dog leash was now strangling dog and cutting into my thigh. So-angry wine-infused wife, choking leash attached dog and driver trying to be cooperative but having thigh amputated by deaf dog who can't see me to know I was commanding him to sit or stay. Thats the situation and I had to make a move. Imagine trying to explain all this to a junior cop?. So-I risked the taser or worse and jumped out to free my leg and go free the dog. I still don't know all what happened except in the end I was shouting "don't shoot me I'm letting the dog off leash" and then jumped right back into car assuming dog will now follow his beloved mom-but oh no. Naturally he just had to come back to my drivers door and stood up in front of cop scratching and wanting to come back in car and again-freaking the cop out. I mean -the dog can really not hear a thing so the screaming cop did not phase Henry.

FINALLY-after another 10 minutes the cop comes back and I expect the book to be coming high speed at my head. (I 'slid' through a stop-sign in 2nd gear and 10mph and forgot license)
    He then said-"I feel sorry for you man. I would be giving you a big ticket but I'm gonna give you a warning tonight with one condition. I said "anything officer. what is it?" He then answered: "You get your damn wife some professional help! Does she know how close she came to me slapping cuffs on her? She can't be all yelling in my face. I don't know her and I don't know the f**kin mayor. And I don't care if she thinks she;s 'older and a lot smarter" then me either . You take her to a head doctor soon cause she's crazy. (i'm secretly grinning) Heres your warning so go get your wife and get that damn dog and get out of here." OMG- I was so f-n relieved I actually said to this 22yr old[?] cop, "you are my FAVORITE person in the world man. I love you". No response.

Anyway-back to the painting: I trained as a fine artist and immediately recognized this 'piece of trash' as a late 19th-early 20thC. seascape by an extremely talented Painter. And the frame was a plaster molded-24k gold leafed beauty as well. The artist is known but as a former painter I was more blown away by the way he handled the pounding surf meeting the sand with oils. Anyway-the irony? Wasted the whole day looking for pricey antique/vintage pieces. Found nothing and came home and found a masterpiece in our (curiously dumb) neighbors trash can. [I should probably post a pic -but not sure how interested in art anybody here is: maybe at bottom]

Anyway-the story doesn't end there. We already found it VERY odd that these neighbors would simply chuck a gorgeous painting-with obvious auction marks and gallery stamps on back and id's in the trash but they did. I felt like I had to 'sneak' it inside lest anyone see me sauntering around with a museum quality painting. But after a short calm down, looking up the artist and such-I had to say to Belle, "you think there could be anything else?" (and in our particular neighborhood on sunday evenings which is trash night its known that quite a few junk pickers drive around looking for large and small morsels out of each weeks trash. In fact-want to get rid of an old TV, chair, broke a/c, bed? Put it out early sunday and it usually disappears within 3 hours.

Now it was dusk and I couldn't resist any longer thinking about the The 'white truck junk man' who would be coming any minute. So I crept out (don't know why I crept but I couldn't help feeling like I was 'pulling something off). So I'm there sorting through a pile. Sheepish. I'm not liking picking trash in my own neigh. Someone else's? OK. But not here. I like the neighbors actually believe i'm 'respectable-french-beret-with-pipe guy' First Nothing. A can filled with old cans. Nope, A ton of old moldy books. Gross. Trash. Actual trash. Grossx2. Forget it. Now a box filled with rubber banded shoe boxes. Hmmm. #1: Bird cards. odd but nope. #2, #3 #4-all doilies, buttons and thread on spools. ech. #5. ties, bow-ties and Whoah!- whats that? Oh-a gold tie-clip. Cool. And another. Wait...thats a WATCH! What? NO WAY. And what? Another watch! I drop the other stuff back in the boxes minus the tie-bar and 2 watches) and again-I sort of rush home like a scoundrel sneak-thief. Immediately took watches out of pocket and saw:

This:

And this:

I wound both and they are running fine but I only wound them a crank or two so they stopped after an hour. Their loaded with years of crud which by now will be completely cleaned as much as my skill permits. {i don't rea;l;y know how to do a basic oiling of an old movement any way other then having it disassembled so I can't really service a dried out watch..

So I need a little help with both-but in different ways. The Hamilton I can assume is earliest -late 40s-probably 50s and latest-early 60s. It a sharp looking dial and I cleaned it up to presentable. But I can not make out if its definitely a top-loader. The seam on back looks like its more corroded shut then solid. But then the crown tube is welded right into case (it even has a tiny hole on bottom side of crown tube-so NO water. And not sure if thats even worth fixing) But if anybody os familiar with this type of Hamilton-please do inform me. Back has no 'tool suggestion' and only says 'Hamilton+' and "Stainless S"

The Lusina? I never heard of the brand. I did google and came up with plenty of Lusina watches selling for anywhere from $40 to $1000. I really have no idea what I have except to say I think its a Shild movement: 1050 and signed Lusina. Its a nicely designed manual movement and is running strong for such obvious neglect.
    The dial to me-seems like a total copy of the Omega seamaster ranchero style but maybe it was even more common. Obviously ANY info on Lusina Watch Co would be appreciated and I don't need an evaluation on either. I can guess pretty accurately what they might be worth. I will probably sell them but after about a month..Here:

Lusian Movement. Is it A.Schild?

So the moral of yesterday was-just when you think the day was a waste-sometimes the day is longer then you think and isn't a waste at all. Two free watches, a 10k tie bar and a possible american masterpiece seascape all after the 'wasted' part of the day. A badly lit pic of the painting-47" x 30":

and one more thing...[might as well pile it ALL on in one post. either this will go down in flames or maybe a half dozen total wis geeks might read but in addition to the 3 freebies I just received this yesterday in post. It was a planned purchase and took a TON of deciding between three to four other SS silver dial, stick/block index markers w stock original SS bracelet vintage I was lusting after ['58 Kontiki, '69 King Seiko, '67 chronometer King Seiko and Longines Conquest with all green enamel intact. Yes it was hard!] But in the end I decided the GMT complication was a big bonus to this self declared 'niche' and I have always kind of wanted a mate to my 2 black Seawolfs. I am loving it. It was cleaned and brought up to near pristine condition by a fantastic eBay seller I never used before who offers a year warranty in the work they do themselves at there own shop. I'm not usuallly impressed with rBay sellers and consider it great when the watch comes 'as described' This lady went way beyond. Not sure is posting an eBay seller I like is ok-but I have many years experience with buying/selling watches eBay and I really like: [eBay:Rai_Justin] The only thing with this example? The bottom half of coin edge bezel was pitted and they filed/polished bezel down and did a re-enamel. I am very satisfied as almost all Zodiac Seawolfs with coin-edge bezel have this very same wear at top edge. The dial is 100% untouched and minty as are all hands and case back is minty too. Crown is signed but its slightly beat. Orig. SS band. Really sweet. 36hrs + and it only lost 3sec. not too bad. But @ <35mm I doubt this would appeal to many vintage dive guys and anyone into the 'big-only' scene:

'61 Aerospace G.M.T. automatic:

Last edited by DaBaeker; August 3rd, 2015 at 05:31.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Re: 2 new vintage pick-ups. need info on Hammy + a rather inane story which can be skipped to the pi

Hamilton looks like a 1968 Sea beach. Dont know for sure but I would expect it to be a one piece case, split stem top load. Nice watches. Congratulations on the painting. No chance I would ever be able to catch that. Sea Beach III I mean
    Last edited by Giotime; August 3rd, 2015 at 05:49.

Re: 2 new vintage pick-ups. need info on Hammy + a rather inane story which can be skipped to the pi

Thanks for the lead on the Ham. I haven't started to research it yet as I concentrated on cleaning 45+ years of crud and detritus. But it came out quite nice and the black sport leather or a khaki zulu both make it look smashing. The problem with my pulling the split-stem is I spotted a very small hole in bottom side of crown tube. I can see the stem move up and down (meaning water and other stuff can get in) Its probably not reasonable to pay for a quality fix of the case but I will find a way to at least seal the hole from dust-debris. If I sell-I don't expect to get much more then $100-if that. But it is pretty sharp after cleaning. Hamilton was still at the top of their design game at this point-IMHO.

I still don't know anything about the Lusida except the company existed and they did partner with some prestigious brands but I'be no idea for what and this looks like a standard [but pretty] AS movement.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have nothing to contribute, but just wanted to say how hilariously entertaining your story was.
    derids likes this.

Great story,very amusing indeed The painting is really wonderful,thanks for sharing,there isn't anything better then to find these items in such a weird manner,unbeliveable what people throw away,like my watchmaker who throw away a big sack of ads and brochures from 50's-70's(omega,tissot,roamer,certina etc.) some 5-6years ago when cleaning the attic, I didn't had a heart to tell him the potential value of it when he told me the about their fate, at least I succeded to save a few pieces that were left in the shop forgotten....

Your Lusida sports an ETA 1100 base movement.

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: ETA 1100

Magura

Great story and find! I'd have done the same!
    Philippians 4:6 -Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I think that I can just about see an "80" so I think it is more likely the slightly smaller (10.5''' as opposed to 11.5''') ETA 1080:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: ETA 1080

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    I think that I can just about see an "80" so I think it is more likely the slightly smaller (10.5''' as opposed to 11.5''') ETA 1080:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: ETA 1080

Hartmut Richter
    Yes. It has the # 1080 engraved-not 1050 and I thought the shield next the the number was for AS but was mistaken. Thanks HR.

Banned
    According to Accutronitis and his BFF I live in Berkshire, but really I live in Derbyshire

Great stuff, entertaining story, watches and a beautiful painting.
    The Hammy looks like a push out type. Try pushing the crystal and the case out of the bezel/lugs part with your thumbs, while holding the rest with your fingers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information