In the 2-register chrono "phase", advice welcome
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: In the 2-register chrono "phase", advice welcome

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

In the 2-register chrono "phase", advice welcome

My current phase in browsing has been vintage, 1940s-60s 2-register chronograph. Some say doctor's watches because of the pulsometer feature they come with.

As I browse eBay I can find many options in the sub-$3000 range. However I live in Southeast Asia so it would be a long way if there are any problems as most dealers are located in US/Europe. This price range will give me some mid-tier brands: Wakmann, Wittnauer, Lemania, Movado, etc. Some watches indicate they need servicing of some sort.

I've never purchased vintage through eBay, so I will need some general pointers.

• Are there any particular brands/movements to avoid? I know Lemania and Valjoux are well regarded. But I've seen movement brands I've never heard like Brevet for example. If I plan on holding on to these pieces and seek some sort of resale value and ease of maintenance/ownership cost, is it better to stick with the Lems' and VJs? The Longines 13ZN based watches (out of price range) are gorgeous but I will have to ask the same question as above as they no longer make those anymore.
    • Is buying from an online dealer, like HQmilton, Crown-Caliber worth the premium compared to an eBayer/WUSer with a good reputation?

Any general pointers in choosing 60-70 years old chronos are appreciated.

Re: In the 2-register chrono "phase", advice welcome

I find the Venus models to be fairly affordable, and for the most part maintenance minimal. I just picked up this one, which has the same movement as in Breitling, Pierce, etc. this one has sat in a safety deposit box for a good 25 years or so, and so far been a great runner.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433959556.582909.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  168.5 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433959568.654481.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  178.3 KB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rule 1: buy the seller!

rule 2: buy the seller.

-check feedback and make sure seller has an abundant amount of positive feedbacks as a seller -not just buyer. try and stick to a 99% and higher fb and of course a seller with a high number of sales and all 100% pos feedback is a very good sign. read the feedbacks carefully to see what buyers write. Its not necessary to buy from a seller who only sells vintage wrist watches. Sometimes a very reputable antique seller will come across a fine watch at estate sale. They usuually write they "know nothing about watches" but if you do your research and know exactly what your want and assume it may need a general service-you can sometimes make out really well this way.
    rule 2a: don't necessarily be wary of international sellers. Sometimes you might read that eBay sellers from certain countries or areas are particularly bad. I find if you go by the above rule 1 and 2 you can find just as fine a watch in South America or Indonesia then the US. And communication is the other eBay 'rule' a good seller will write back and answer any question politely. They will also assure you that if there is a problem when the watch arrives and it is not as described-you can get your money back. But the more you know about watch before-always better. which leads to:

rule 3: research research research. It seems you have already done a bit of searching in terms of browsing and knowing what you want. If you are also familiarizing yourself with how to spot obvious flaws such as re-dials, dirty corroded movements and other problem areas-you are almost there.

I think your $3000 [usd] budget is more then enough to get many fine and decent 2-reg. chronographs from the 40s -70s. Some less well known but still quality brands I can think of are Fludo, Angelus, Marvin and Lemania.
    Also-I think you could easily find a beautiful and fine 60s Breitling Top-Time for much less then $3000. Same goes for the Movado. Also-since you said you were in Asia and I think Enicar was highly marketed to Asian arena-you might check out an Enicar 2-register date @ 6 with Valjoux 232. Ive seen beautiful examples with original dials from Indonesia selling for between $700 to $1200. I think there are similar valjoux 2-reg chronographs made by Breitling, Boluva 'datomatic' (date at 6) an Movado as well.

It all about the hunt. So good luck.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Chronographs are much more expensive to service...400AUD with my watch guy....They will only be "maintenance minimal" if you look after them. Not servicing a vintage watch is like not servicing a vintage car....It may well be an expensive disaster waiting to happen...???
    You will have plenty to choose from in that price range...
    Sdasurrey likes this.
    So many watches.....so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by jackruff View Post
    Chronographs are much more expensive to service...400AUD with my watch guy....They will only be "maintenance minimal" if you look after them. Not servicing a vintage watch is like not servicing a vintage car....It may well be an expensive disaster waiting to happen...???
    if this was enough to scare off your average vintage watch fanatic-we probably walnut have a thread like this in the first place.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Don't get me wrong. My definition of "maintenance minimal", includes normal COA servicing. I merely mentioned the Venus lines due to the fact that I have never had any serious breakages as with other chronograph models. I know that every watch has maintenance issues....I am going almost weekly to my repairman with watches that need something done to them! Thankfully, mine does not charge that amount. My Gallet Multichron GMT repair bill was $170., and he hand built the missing hacking mechanism. Proportionally, the bill was $150. for my Breitling 769. I suppose it's all about location sometimes....

Jack - wow that is pretty expensive, I wonder if there is a dearth of watchmakers ? My portobello well known Chinese watchmaker charges £130 for a chrono service and £60 for a normal watch. Is your ratio to non chronos for servicing similar ?

It's always important for people starting in collecting any vintage watches - to realise they all need servicing so budget for that, but I have to say one of my three genres is 20s-50s chronos. So 'live' with the servicing costs, Cheers ! Scott

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalk
    'Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.' -- Slim Pickens as Major T.J. 'King' Kong, Dr. Strangelove 1964

__________________________________________________ __________
    My 'Show-Piece' - Zenith El Primero 'Red' Captain Ltd Edition #255/500
    My 'Grails' - 1920s & 1930s 18ct Gold Eberhard Monopusher chronos - with a Valjioux 65 movements
    My 'Fav' 1917 Silver Moser Trench
    Various vintage watches - Trench-style, Art Deco & 20s-50s chronographs - especially Eberhard & Longines

Quote Originally Posted by Sdasurrey View Post
    Jack - wow that is pretty expensive, I wonder if there is a dearth of watchmakers ? My portobello well known Chinese watchmaker charges £130 for a chrono service and £60 for a normal watch. Is your ratio to non chronos for servicing similar ?

It's always important for people starting in collecting any vintage watches - to realise they all need servicing so budget for that, but I have to say one of my three genres is 20s-50s chronos. So 'live' with the servicing costs, Cheers ! Scott

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalk
    My servicing for non-chronographs here is $35. U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by DaBaeker View Post
    if this was enough to scare off your average vintage watch fanatic-we probably walnut have a thread like this in the first place.
    Yep true but it's nice to know the peripheral costs before taking the plunge....

Scott yes it is expensive but when I mean service I mean he takes it apart completely, ultrasonic everything usually a new plastic/crystal and maybe mainspring and it's included. It may take him 3- 5 hours depending on idiosyncrasies. He has a business in town (and there are no shortage of watchmakers but I trust him to actually do it properly as I have seen some of the stuff he gets to fix after been "serviced" by other watch makers) so pays rent employs another guy etc.etc.... If he's not making 100AUD an hour he may as well pack up and go on benefits....It may also be more proportional depending on the $ value in different countries and cost of living etc... I pay 160AUD for an uncomplicated watch. I'm not sure how some of your watchmakers are making money or they are just really quick...150 for a chrono service??? I hope for that money he would have it turned over in under 2 hours....
    Sdasurrey likes this.
    So many watches.....so little time.....

Yep true but it's nice to know the peripheral costs before taking the plunge....

Scott yes it is expensive but when I mean service I mean he takes it apart completely, ultrasonic everything usually a new plastic/crystal and maybe mainspring and it's included. It may take him 3- 5 hours depending on idiosyncrasies. He has a business in town (and there are no shortage of watchmakers but I trust him to actually do it properly as I have seen some of the stuff he gets to fix after been "serviced" by other watch makers) so pays rent employs another guy etc.etc.... If he's not making 100AUD an hour he may as well pack up and go on benefits....It may also be more proportional depending on the $ value in different countries and cost of living etc... I pay 160AUD for an uncomplicated watch. I'm not sure how some of your watchmakers are making money or they are just really quick...150 for a chrono service??? I hope for that money he would have it turned over in under 2 hours....
    Mine is Amish, from the old country (Lancaster, PA), quality of work is beyond excellent IMHO, wait time is a little longer than most, but for the money, well worth the wait! Like I said, location...location.

Sdasurrey likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information