2 Unidentified Swiss Movements....Any Help Appreciated!

Thread: 2 Unidentified Swiss Movements....Any Help Appreciated!

2 Unidentified Swiss Movements....Any Help Appreciated!

About a week ago I submitted a picture of this 16 size Swiss movement with an unusual marking, but have had no luck yet in helping identify it. I've decided to re-post the pic, as well as another view of the other side of the movement, to see if it helps anyone recognize it. It is an English Sterling case dated to 1919 and appears to be a quality piece. Any ideas?

The second watch, also Swiss, is signed 'Lusitania' and has a rather unusual acid etched design on the movement. I was told that 'Wilsdorf & Davis' may have trademarked the Lusitania name and issued these watches as commemorative pieces celebrating the launch of the doomed liner, but have not been able to confirm this story, nor the actual identification of the movement. There are some similarities to early Omega movements, but some differences also, so any help appreciated.

Thanks....D. :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by watchme08; November 27th, 2008 at 05:31. Reason: Added text

Re: 2 Unidentified Swiss Movements....Any Help Appreciated!

I looked for the Trident in my lists of cartouches but couldn't find anything.

I also checked my Bestfit book for a match of teh setting works for a 16L and couldn't find anything.

I didn't recognise the second one either .. but that's very unique engraving!

The R.M.S Lusitania of the Cunard shipping line was sunk by a German submarine in 1915 during WWI. Various commemorative material was produced to honour and damn the sinking (Everything from films, posters, songs, commemorative medallions and so-on).

I don't think it's outside the realms of possibility that watches were among the items manufactured.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

They both look like early 20th century Swiss to me and I don't see any distinguishing marks to help me ID them further. Many of these watch movements look like the classic Omega Cal 19 which was a seminal design.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Did a bit more digging...The Lusitania carried some watch-cases and movements as part of its cargo during its last voyage...but that's the only thing watch-related I could find out about the ship so far. I'm doing a bit more questioning and research to see if there were any commemorative watches made.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

The Lusitania looks very similar to an Omega movement that can be seen in page 532 in the 2008 Shugart guide. I believe the one shown there is probably the same as this one, just a lower grade.

If my memory does not disappoint me, the movement on the left looks a lot like a FHF cal. 1 movement or similar, from around 1910-1920 or otherwise a similar Swiss ebauche.

Thread Information