21 Jewel Titus- 1950s?

Thread: 21 Jewel Titus- 1950s?

21 Jewel Titus- 1950s?

Hi Vintage Watchuseekers,
    I'm making a lot of discoveries and learning here making me want to post further my 21 Jewel Titus. I got it from a pawnshop in the province. The owner said it was owned by a carabao. That's a term for a person who mishandles his possessions or actually a black Filipino bull that wallows in the mud and helps farmers till soil for rice-planting. I didn't want to buy it initially because of the condition of the casing and dial, but the movement was fresh and intact so I deceded to buy it and have it restored. Its ticking is also nice and loud.

Its super-thin and around 40 mm. Do you know what movement it has and if it from the 50s? I really love polishing this watch. Its back has a mirror-finish look, and I like the classic silver look all over. This is also the first watch I had redialled. I'll give more close-ups of the dial for you to see if the redialling is acceptable. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: 21 Jewel Titus- 1950s?

Well, its not an automatic so it's probably earlier than 1980. The case closing looks like something from the 60's or 70s. This lack of date on the dial is more common in the earlier end of that range.

As to the movement... Without looking I think I have seen similar bridge arrangements in 50s and 60s vintage Tissots... But the 21 jewels sounds 70's to me...

I am sure others will play and help us
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The movement is an ETA 1080 or something in that series (Ranfft lists a lot, statin that the differences between the individual movements bearing the different calibre codes are not known):

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...2uswk&ETA_1080

Off topic: Interesting to hear your explanation of the term "carabao". Never came across that usage - just the alternative meanings of things like "buwaya" and "ahas"!

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Again I'd say 1960s. Date wheels were common enough in the 1960s but not all dress watches had them. It says waterproof on the back which usually indicates something prior to 1970. The style is more 1960s than 1950s but there could be some overlap.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Quote Originally Posted by Hartmut Richter View Post
    The movement is an ETA 1080 or something in that series (Ranfft lists a lot, statin that the differences between the individual movements bearing the different calibre codes are not known):

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-...2uswk&ETA_1080

Off topic: Interesting to hear your explanation of the term "carabao". Never came across that usage - just the alternative meanings of things like "buwaya" and "ahas"!

Hartmut Richter
    Wow, ETA again. I love Eterna.

Yikes! The two are worse. "Buwaya" or alligator is someone greedy. It's associated with the alligator's big mouth like someone who'll take in everything and anything. They're common terms for politicians nowadays. Meanwhile, "ahas" or snake is a traitor or backstabber. It's associated with the snake's sidewinding slithering movement like someone who is not firm to commitment. Gosh, again it's commonly used for politicians. I'm ok buying used, unwanted old watches from carabaos anyday, but the condition of the vintages brings shivers to my watch-restorer when I come by and bring it to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Again I'd say 1960s. Date wheels were common enough in the 1960s but not all dress watches had them. It says waterproof on the back which usually indicates something prior to 1970. The style is more 1960s than 1950s but there could be some overlap.
    Gee, many thanks Ray, Eeeb and Hartmut. What do you think of the redialling? Did my watch-restorer do a good or acceptable job? I'm amazed with his redialling machine. It copied the logo and markings well, to me. However, the original dial was kind of old silvery-white, while the logo and markings were black. It was speckled with mildew/rust so an overhaul was needed. I gave my watch-restorer freedom to choose the look of the new dial, and he gave it a stainless steel color/finish with white logo and markings. I had the chance of touching the dial before it was assembled into the watch, and it felt smooth. I like cleaning this piece with a soft cloth to bring out its silvery shine all the time now. 'makes me not want to sell it anymore.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by alexiscabel; March 23rd, 2008 at 06:53.

Quote Originally Posted by alexiscabel View Post
    Gee, many thanks Ray, Eeeb and Hartmut. What do you think of the redialling? Did my watch-restorer do a good or acceptable job? I'm amazed with his redialling machine. It copied the logo and markings well, to me. However, the original dial was kind of old silvery-white, while the logo and markings were black. It was speckled with mildew/rust so an overhaul was needed. I gave my watch-restorer freedom to choose the look of the new dial, and he gave it a stainless steel color/finish with white logo and markings. I had the chance of touching the dial before it was assembled into the watch, and it felt smooth. I like cleaning this piece with a soft cloth to bring out its silvery shine all the time now. 'makes me not want to sell it anymore.
    Ooops, I read the sticky with the "condition" note. 'sorry, I agree it is difficult to assess something two dimensional such as the pics. One has to see the watch (or, better, dial) itself. I decided to keep this one too because I fell for it, and I've been wearing it since Monday.

Anyway, many thanks and I appreciate all the valuable and interesting info on my vintages. Next time, I'll post a piece before I get it serviced for a before and then after look for a change. The hunt goes on for me for the next piece.

Thread Information