24 hour vintage pocket watch?

Thread: 24 hour vintage pocket watch?

24 hour vintage pocket watch?

Hey everyone,

As you can see, I just joined this forum. I am certainly far from a watch collector (my own watch is a kid's Timex with a stretchy band...), but I'm on a very specific mission.

At a museum recently, my boyfriend and I saw an absolutely amazing pocket watch with a 24 hour dial among the museum's large collection. We both fell in love with the idea of such a pocket watch, and so begun my secretive internet search.

So far, I've found a modern 24 hour Russian pocket watch, but I was really hoping for something truly antique. As far as 24 hour pocket watches are concerned, how should I begin my search? I'm in no rush, although my budget isn't gigantic ($100-$200 for a watch in working condition that keep acceptable time for daily use).

Can someone give me a list of specific makes that correspond with 24 hour pocket watches to make my search easier? Anything would be appreciated.

I'm sorry if this is a duplicate thread from the past, but I didn't find anything after searching.

Note: I also posted this under the 24 hour forum. I'm not sure where it fit best. Thanks.

Re: 24 hour vintage pocket watch?

For recent (1940s) vintage Hamilton 24hr pocket watches are still to be had if you look around (you can even try ebay, if you're careful)

Just curious; to which museum were you referring? I'm interested in museums of all kinds.

good luck with your search.

regards
    wemedge

Quote Originally Posted by Teranika View Post
    Hey everyone,

As you can see, I just joined this forum. I am certainly far from a watch collector (my own watch is a kid's Timex with a stretchy band...), but I'm on a very specific mission.

At a museum recently, my boyfriend and I saw an absolutely amazing pocket watch with a 24 hour dial among the museum's large collection. We both fell in love with the idea of such a pocket watch, and so begun my secretive internet search.

So far, I've found a modern 24 hour Russian pocket watch, but I was really hoping for something truly antique. As far as 24 hour pocket watches are concerned, how should I begin my search? I'm in no rush, although my budget isn't gigantic ($100-$200 for a watch in working condition that keep acceptable time for daily use).

Can someone give me a list of specific makes that correspond with 24 hour pocket watches to make my search easier? Anything would be appreciated.

I'm sorry if this is a duplicate thread from the past, but I didn't find anything after searching.

Note: I also posted this under the 24 hour forum. I'm not sure where it fit best. Thanks.
    It's 1700hrs somewhere...

It was the Milwaukee Public Museum. In their historic "European Village" part, there were several different mock store fronts of "watchmakers" from different countries/periods. I'd say there were 100 different pocket watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you. I'll check it out if I get a chance.

Here is so more info on the Hamilton pocket watch. Elgin made them also but are somewhat harder to find. You should be able to get one under $500:

It's WWII military issue. Try the search term "deck watch 2r hour"

Hamilton Watch Co. USA 4992B 22 Jewels - U.S. Govt. - Adj. Temp and 6 positions.

Thanks for the info---the Hamilton you mentioned seems to be the best price option for me. I was wondering though, if a pocket watch isn't in good working condition, but is likely to have all its parts, how expensive would it be to repair?

(I'm specifically referring to http://cgi.ebay.com/Hamilton-24-hour...QQcmdZViewItem)

Would fixing it be an economically viable option?

It's not a good idea to buy any vintage watch that isn't working properly. The costs of repair will easily eat up the difference between a broken watch and one in serviceable condition, and sometimes you can't fix them at all if they are rusted. This one doesn't sound like a good candidate for repair to me. Better to save for the one you want in running order.
    Hamiltons are generally harder to find parts for than Elgins, but these 24 hour watches are a breed apart. I couldn't really tell you if one was more difficult to source parts for than another.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Yes, I would prefer to buy one in working condition (unless I knew beforehand what needed to be fixed). Sometimes all it needs is a good servicing.

It's possible to fix one up, but as Ray said, depending on the condition and parts needed it may not be financially viable. You should be able to find one in working condition without too much difficulty.

wemedge

Thread Information