Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By demonfinder
  • 4 Post By bubba48
  • 1 Post By trim
  • 1 Post By KiwiKev
  • 1 Post By trim

Thread: 30 mm Roamer 1950s? Adult or Boys

30 mm Roamer 1950s? Adult or Boys

Here's my latest acquisition. To me it looks like the sort of 17 Jewel, sweep second hand watch Roamer introduced in 1944 but from wnat I can see on roamer-watches.info they all tend to have 32 or 33 mm diameter cases and this is a little smaller at 30 mm.

Could it have been intended for boys?

I'm also curious about the date I thought at first it might be from the 40s but now I think the lugs look a little later. And I think the word "shockproof' dates it later.

Could it be from somewhere in the 50s?

I've provided pictures but here are the details

On the front:

Roamer
    Shockproof
    17 Jewels

On the back

Roamer
    Waterproof
    Stainless Steel Back

Patent Numbers

Though I'm new to this I know Brevete isn't the model name!

On the crown:

RW surmounted by four dots

I've included a picture showing it next to a more opulent 32 mm Roamer from the early 60s to show the scale

Pictures:

Name:  Dial.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  761.2 KBName:  Oblique Cropped.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  1.13 MBName:  This Back Cropped.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  396.7 KBName:  Crown Close Up.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  126.4 KBName:  Comparison.jpg
Views: 74
Size:  807.6 KB

Re: 30 mm Roamer 1950s? Adult or Boys

Hi KiwiKev,
    I think your Roamer is most likely a mans watch -but I have seen the odd Roamer junior sizes occassionally.
    It most likely has one of their smaller late 1930`s /early `40`s calibres such as an MST 352 or poss MST 371 inside.
    The crown is a later one from the 1950`s.
    The logo on the dial suggests late `30`s (before they changed to the underlined version_ but I think that fellow member Trim`s excellent vintage Roamer website gives the waterproof case introduction date as around 1941.
    I think the "Shockproof" suggests an early pre in-house anti shock system too- as "shock-resist" was usually used on MST`s own early designs.

I have a 30mm cased Roamer Standard with an earlier no shock 17 jewel MST352 calibre with the same dial logo but not in the waterproof design caseName:  serviced 2016.JPG
Views: 61
Size:  182.7 KB
    Name:  PICT2182.JPG
Views: 60
Size:  821.1 KB
    Name:  Geneva stripes.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  136.5 KB
    SunnyOrange and 707mm2 like this.

30mm were a men size at the time

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi,
    Up until around 1945, men's watches could be in 30mm size, like the famous Patek ref. 96. I have a 1943 Longines in this size too. In the late 1940s, this size simply vanished, don't know why exactly...

The last patent written on your case, CH215999 (for the waterproof case), was granted in 1941, so it seems likely to me your watch has been made between 1941 and 1945. Could you provide a picture of the movement ?

Well, I don't think you can tell too much from the dial, since I think it is a redial. That said, late 40s early 50s. I would wear it, but its edging on too small for me.

So I see you're in Wellington, me too. Should grab a coffee.

I'm quite new to this anda lot of what I know about Roamers I found out from your site.

Thanks for that. What makes you say it's a redial? Would that be a recent thing using a dial from an earlier or later or roughly watch to make it easier to sell?

As it happens I have taken to wearing it. It keeps pretty good time and I've become rather fond of it! I do have a realatively small wrist.

Yes let's do coffee.
    busmatt likes this.

Roamer used to make their dials in-house, and they made excellent dials. The spacing on the ROAMER being inconsistent is your first flag. Inconsistencies in the markers etc, additionally. These dials should also be a different finish with the drilled markers - this one is flat, quite unlike the dials of the period. I have to think about it a bit more, but "shock proof" doesn't seem right either.

Redials, were for lots of reasons, sometimes they were just a normal element of service. The nice thing about the waterproof case is how well the dials are usually preserved, unlike Omega dials for example, which are often terrible.

Let's pm about coffee.
    Last edited by trim; July 22nd, 2019 at 21:36.
    busmatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 707mm2 View Post
    Hi,
    Up until around 1945, men's watches could be in 30mm size, like the famous Patek ref. 96. I have a 1943 Longines in this size too. In the late 1940s, this size simply vanished, don't know why exactly...

The last patent written on your case, CH215999 (for the waterproof case), was granted in 1941, so it seems likely to me your watch has been made between 1941 and 1945. Could you provide a picture of the movement ?
    Worth noting the American makers Hamilton and Elgin were still making and selling watches that size till at least 1960.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Thread Information