4 vintage watches I need help with discovering their value
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 4 vintage watches I need help with discovering their value

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

4 vintage watches I need help with discovering their value

Hi,

so I've recently found 4 vintage watches that belong to my grandfather, and they're all looking at a minimum of 30 years. As I'm a newbie when it comes to vintage watches, any help would be appreciated. First I have some general questions about vintage watches, for ex. do watch collectors (potential buyers) prefer the watch to be fixed when buying(new glass, cleaned mechanism from the inside, new strap etc) or do they prefer it to be in their original state with all the scratches marks that come with years? That being said, let me introduce you with the four watches (don't hesitate to give me an approximate price of the watches):

First one up is a Zenith, automatic in working condition with a gold electroplat
    ed bezel and original leather strap:
    Attachment 12507581 Attachment 12507583 Attachment 12507585 Attachment 12507587
    Name:  IMG_20170915_114227.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  133.5 KBName:  IMG_20170915_114324.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  135.6 KBName:  IMG_20170915_114355.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  137.7 KBName:  IMG_20170915_114442.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  53.7 KB

Next one is the Certina blue ribbon, also automatic and in working condition:

Name:  IMG_20170915_115821.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  120.8 KBName:  IMG_20170915_115942.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  88.3 KB

Third one is a Meister-Anker 22 jewels automatic, also in a working condition:

Name:  IMG_20170915_115648.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  120.1 KBName:  IMG_20170915_115731.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  72.7 KB

And the last one is a Helvetia automatic incabloc but in a non-working condition:

Name:  IMG_20170915_114846.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  136.8 KBName:  IMG_20170915_114857.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  118.0 KBName:  IMG_20170915_115029.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  123.5 KB

Thanks in advance for any advice and help provided!

Need help with information about this vintage Zenith watch

Hi,

I've recently found my grandfather's old Zenith automatic watch and I just need some help in valuing it and to see is it worth it to have its glass replaced and cleaning it inside or do watch collectors like it in its original state more?

Name:  IMG_20170915_114227.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  133.5 KBName:  IMG_20170915_114324.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  135.6 KBName:  IMG_20170915_114355.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  137.7 KBName:  IMG_20170915_114442.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  53.7 KB

Its in working condition, automatic movement with gold electroplated bezel.

Thanks for any help and advice in advance!
    parrotandpitbull likes this.

DON

Re: Need help with information about this vintage Zenith watch

Original state refers to original dial and not over polished etc.

Replacing crystal and cleaning are part of normal upkeep when needed.

What you do depends on whether you plan to wear it or not.

If not. Place back into the drawer

If. It's going to cost more to restore than it's worth money wise. Sentimental wise has no value (actually it does, but semantics)

Can't polish dents/dings out of plated watches. Cleaning maybe $150+ Crystal maybe $30+ New strap

More than likely. Maybe about $200 which is about the value of the watch if that. Standard Zenith models used fair/average movements at this time

It's for you to decide if it's worth it to you

DON

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DON View Post
    Original state refers to original dial and not over polished etc.

Replacing crystal and cleaning are part of normal upkeep when needed.

What you do depends on whether you plan to wear it or not.

If not. Place back into the drawer

If. It's going to cost more to restore than it's worth money wise. Sentimental wise has no value (actually it does, but semantics)

Can't polish dents/dings out of plated watches. Cleaning maybe $150+ Crystal maybe $30+ New strap

More than likely. Maybe about $200 which is about the value of the watch if that. Standard Zenith models used fair/average movements at this time

It's for you to decide if it's worth it to you

DON
    Hey DON, thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. In this condition, for how much would the watch go? About 100$? As you said, I guess it's not worth restoring it if I won't be wearing it.
    Last edited by Hartmut Richter; September 16th, 2017 at 23:09. Reason: Removing info violating rules & guidelines

I suggest you just put it up for a no reserve auction starting at a low price and see what it fetches. If you really need to have an idea in advance, check the SOLD listings using an eBay advanced search, and compare to watches that are similar in size, material (gold-plated) and condition. If you want to get the most for the watch, you will need to provide good photos (including of the inside) and a detailed and accurate description. So it would be worth you time to study eBay listings from experienced sellers.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    I suggest you just put it up for a no reserve auction starting at a low price and see what it fetches. If you really need to have an idea in advance, check the SOLD listings using an eBay advanced search, and compare to watches that are similar in size, material (gold-plated) and condition. If you want to get the most for the watch, you will need to provide good photos (including of the inside) and a detailed and accurate description. So it would be worth you time to study eBay listings from experienced sellers.
    Hey badbackdan, thanks a lot, I think I just might take your advice.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Original thread reapproved (it was moderated automatically, therefore disappearing from view, but hte decision was made by the system, not by a moderator) and merged with the follow up. The Zenith is from the 1970s, post 1972 and has a Cal. 2572 PC, as shown by the ".380" at the end of the reference number:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Zenith 2572PC

Hartmut Richter

Thanks a lot Hartmut Richter, I was wondering what happened to my original thread. If anyone has any insight on the other 3 watches, would be greatly appreciated.

Re: 4 vintage watches I need help with discovering their value

All are most likely 1970s watches. The Zenith and Certina are the best. Zenith is a well-known brand and despite the fact that the case is gold-plated, that example has a more classic style than the others. The Certina may be all stainless, which would put it into a different level of quality. Rough guess is that the Zenith and Certina might go in the $100-$200 range if you are lucky and market them well. The other two have nominal value.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

Re: 4 vintage watches I need help with discovering their value

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    All are most likely 1970s watches. The Zenith and Certina are the best. Zenith is a well-known brand and despite the fact that the case is gold-plated, that example has a more classic style than the others. The Certina may be all stainless, which would put it into a different level of quality. Rough guess is that the Zenith and Certina might go in the $100-$200 range if you are lucky and market them well. The other two have nominal value.
    Thank you so much Dan. I've only got one more question. Should i buy new leather straps and replace the crystal on the Zenith and Certina before putting them up for sale or is it not worth it(it won't fetch a higher selling price)?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information