'53 Zodiac moonphase back

Thread: '53 Zodiac moonphase back

'53 Zodiac moonphase back

Along with some old Seikos I got back from Jim (a watchmaker and member here) I also had the hands tightened on this original dialed moonphase. Had been looking for an Omega MP but couldnt justify the extra cost when this 1100 movement is so sweet. I think Jim must have oiled the whole thing because all date functions work almost like new now. This -imo- is a LOT of vintage watch for the under $300 price tag:

Last edited by DaBaeker; January 16th, 2011 at 19:07.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Re: '53 Zodiac moonphase back

Nice looking watch! I have been looking on ebay, I came across this one. Do you think it the dial is original?
    Vintage Zodiac Triple Calendar Moon phase Black Dial - eBay (item 320642452943 end time Jan-18-11 09:00:31 PST)

I like the Omega MP too, but like you said it is kind of pricey. Enjoy it.

My Collection --> Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle L View Post
    Nice looking watch! I have been looking on ebay, I came across this one. Do you think it the dial is original?
    Vintage Zodiac Triple Calendar Moon phase Black Dial - eBay (item 320642452943 end time Jan-18-11 09:00:31 PST)

I like the Omega MP too, but like you said it is kind of pricey. Enjoy it.
    No way jose. That is def a redial. I was interested in the Zodiac auto mp( until I won this 1100 manual I got.) I think the zodiac autos are from the late 50s to early 60s? The autos come in both silver and black dial but for some reason I see mostly re-dialed black. Farfo had an original black auto mp for a pricey $700 but it sold. I'll try and pm you a link to a huge gallery of mp's where many are still FS. (I think i'd take the JLC reverso mp over all of them!)

here:

http://www.heirloom2.com/moonphases_o).htm

My only problem with the Omega Cosmic is that Im not sure of what movemnt is always inside. I read that Omega had some of the moonphase movement made for them but not sure on the details. If I was gong to pay the extra $800 for an omega I'd like to at least think its got a 50s Omega classic in there. But-if your goal is to have a complete Onega collecton then a zodiac isnt going to do it. But-if your set on a mp-i would get one in the next year as I don;t see them getting any cheaper. They must be catching on because I havent seen many go for less than $300 and lots go for a good bit more.
    Last edited by DaBaeker; January 15th, 2011 at 03:50.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DaBaeker View Post
    No way jose. That is def a redial. I was interested in the Zodiac auto mp( until I won this 1100 manual I got.) I think the zodiac autos are from the late 50s to early 60s? The autos come in both silver and black dial but for some reason I see mostly re-dialed black. Farfo had an original black auto mp for a pricey $700 but it sold. I'll try and pm you a link to a huge gallery of mp's where many are still FS. (I think i'd take the JLC reverso mp over all of them!)

here:

http://www.heirloom2.com/moonphases_o).htm

My only problem with the Omega Cosmic is that Im not sure of what movemnt is always inside. I read that Omega had some of the moonphase movement made for them but not sure on the details. If I was gong to pay the extra $800 for an omega I'd like to at least think its got a 50s Omega classic in there. But-if your goal is to have a complete Onega collecton then a zodiac isnt going to do it. But-if your set on a mp-i would get one in the next year as I don;t see them getting any cheaper. They must be catching on because I havent seen many go for less than $300 and lots go for a good bit more.
    Thanks for the link, my local guy has some MPs as well so maybe I'll go see. I think he had a couple of Zodiacs as well. My long term goal is for a gilt 1675, but I have my eyes on a moonphase as well. I'm also keeping a watch on a Connie, so if I get it I probably will hold off on a MP.

My Collection --> Click Here

That is really, really, nice.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Great Zodiac!! I saw one of these yesterday at an antique show.....they wanted way more than $300............
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

Quote Originally Posted by sixtysix View Post
    Great Zodiac!! I saw one of these yesterday at an antique show.....they wanted way more than $300............
    yes-every year I use my 'secret' strategy and bid on either xmas day or sometimes during the world series. I think I got this during last ['09] yr.s series for $233. It came in fine shape but quickly the hour hand started to slip. It was just as well because I needed to have a c&s anyway. I really do like the look of the manuel wind 1100. The triangular bridge and the diamond shaped balance are easy on the eyes.

I got into a bit of a discussion with a member back when first came as to just how 'complicated' a moonphases complications are. He didnt feel they were true complications as much as it was one big d/d/m complication all spread out into 3 discs and 1 hand. Perhaps he is correct.. All I know is these were a huge fad in the 40s and 50s and then pretty much quieted down. The IWC and JLC are 2 of my favorites

very nice zodiac, and this is a lot of watch for the money. Vintage zodiacs are nice.
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

NICE moonphase! Here's mine...

that pretty close to mine. Nice original dial too. a lot of these I see have been redialed

Do you wear yours often? My one issue with this watch is I love to look at it but its hard to commit to wearing it much. strange though because it runs very well and is definitely interesting watch

Thread Information