57 Waltham in Dennison case

Thread: 57 Waltham in Dennison case

57 Waltham in Dennison case

This is my model 1857 Waltham Wm Ellery manufactured about 1875. It is a 18 size key wind 7j with steel balance and runs beautifully. It came to me from England where it has spent its life, being cased in a sterling silver Dennison case with Birmingham hallmarks from 1877. Model 1857 Walthams may seem basic now, but were an important part of the start of modern watch manufacturing. The Dennison case has extra connections with Waltham, Aaron Lufkin Dennison was one of the men who joined to start what would later become known as Waltham in the 1850ies, and he was the factory's superintendent in the first years. After leaving Waltham in 1861, and a period with setting up the Tremont Watch Co, he started a watch case factory in Birmingham, England in 1874. From here he supplied the London office of Waltham Watch Co with cases. Dennison Watch Case Co was in business until 1967.

Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Re: 57 Waltham in Dennison case

Its not doing badly for a 133 year old case is it? Dennison knew his stuff.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

An uncommonly nice condition for 1 1/4 century age. A 1932 Waltham promotion confirms a silver cased open face Ellery as Abe Lincoln's most used watch. He was given many, and some reported a
    hunting case used; someone at Waltham properly shows open face here. Honest Abe's grandson probably got some of the good ones. Tom L. had finest residence in Vermont 15 miles from my parents home. He liked v12 Lincoln cars and Parker Shotguns. When Tom died Father got couple Parkers. Refused chance to buy a custom limo 30k mile 1930 Lincoln for $1500. Manchester, VT. place open to public today.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; July 1st, 2010 at 21:12.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

For those of you who might have an interest in Dennison, one of the founders of Waltham watch in the USA as well as the watch case company in the UK, there is a recently published biography on him written by Priestly available from the NAWCC Bookstore.

Eric, nice example of a late 1857, the model that started industrial mass production of watches. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by RON in PA View Post
    For those of you who might have an interest in Dennison, one of the founders of Waltham watch in the USA as well as the watch case company in the UK, there is a recently published biography on him written by Priestly available from the NAWCC Bookstore.
    Philip Priestley also wrote a good general refererence: "Watch Case Makers of England. A History and Register of Gold & Silver Watch Case Makers of England: 1720-1920". 216 pages. The book was a NAWCC Bulletin supplement in 1994, but can sometimes be found online from used book dealers.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149