60's Benrus

Thread: 60's Benrus

60's Benrus

Just picked this up and was wondering if anyone knew anything about this watch...interesting 3star logo on the dial

Any thoughts on straps? 18mm I believe.

"Strength equals health; one cannot be healthy without being strong."-Eugene Sandow

Re: 60's Benrus

Do a forum search for Benrus 3 star, there's been previous talk about these. Cool watch, haven't seen one with the flag below it before.
    25 jewel is nice. Would like to see a movement picture as I think this is from the 60s and might use a Benrus branded Seiko movement
    I think you should stick with black for a strap because of the red/white/blue flag. I actually like the strap it's on.
    "My grail showed up today"

Much more likely to be a Benrus branded ETA movement from this era.
    My new sig -----

Over the years I've collected all sorts of movements and "project" watches ... mainly inexpensive vintage pieces.

These days I've widened my gaze to include modern pieces (including quartz with analog or analog + digital displays) but with those I'm generally looking for models in solid steel cases.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys!
    "Strength equals health; one cannot be healthy without being strong."-Eugene Sandow

for what its worth: My uncle told me that Benrus were really popular among his group of friends and hot-rodders growing up in LA in the 40s. (it may be post war nationalism?) They all wanted a benrus skychief and evidently my Grandfather bought my Uncle a Benrus 3-star sometime in early 50s. He thinks he still has it but I can';t get him to search for it. He also said my grandfather did have a skychief but he gave it back to his brother the jeweler for a big Lord Elgin 18k which I have. ugh. Think I'd rather have the chrono but I'm grateful still
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

I really got a lot of neat Benrus history after starting the same thread on the main forum at mwr (broadarrow.net) if anyone is interested.

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39939

Belatedly noticed the big gash on the dial. Cancelled my order and ran across a similar benrus right here on wus for half the price! Small world.

Last edited by tallguy; January 18th, 2011 at 16:48.

Great little watch keeping great time....definitely has that "Mad Men" vibe on the lizard strap!

Thanks to Deldog for the sale!

Quote Originally Posted by DaBaeker View Post
    for what its worth: My uncle told me that Benrus were really popular among his group of friends and hot-rodders growing up in LA in the 40s. (it may be post war nationalism?) They all wanted a benrus skychief and evidently my Grandfather bought my Uncle a Benrus 3-star sometime in early 50s. He thinks he still has it but I can';t get him to search for it. He also said my grandfather did have a skychief but he gave it back to his brother the jeweler for a big Lord Elgin 18k which I have. ugh. Think I'd rather have the chrono but I'm grateful still
    The fact that the US hot rod culture was born from guys returning from WWII who had worked on vehicles in the military, and given that Benrus, along with Hamilton, was the primary maker of military issue watches, this makes perfect sense.
    "My grail showed up today"

Oddly enough, Benrus never issued a military watch during WWII (their watches were all made in Switzerland, unlike Bulova who had a movement factory in the U.S.). I've read that they did supply parts for bomb fuses and stuff.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I read where Bulova, Hamilton, and Benrus were the three most popular watch brands of returning WWII vets. Maybe that is what he meant. I, too, read where Benrus was not converted over to making gauges and measuring instruments during WWII mostly because they only made the casings in the U.S, and imported their movements.

Thread Information