60's GP Gyromatic repair question
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By metlslug
  • 1 Post By metlslug

Thread: 60's GP Gyromatic repair question

60's GP Gyromatic repair question

Hi, I was hoping some of you guys might be able to help me out here... I have a gold-filled Girard-Perregaux from the 60's that belonged to my father, a nice little Gyromatic of the 39 jewel variety, no date. It has sat unused for at least 20 years or so. The watch runs for a little bit via the rotor and you can set the time, but the stem winder doesn't turn (which is why my dad stopped wearing it, now that I think about it). Externally it's in good shape except for the crystal, which is scratched and has an actual crack as well. I was interested in getting it fixed up so I took it to a local watchmaker here in the Dallas area who deals with vintage pieces and I was quoted around $250 for a clean-oil-adjustment, new stem & crown (which he says will fix the winding issue), and new crystal and seal. The work would have a six-month warranty. My first instinct was to say "go for it", but I realized I should do the WIS thing and check here at WUS first! So, for those of you familiar with repairing vintage pieces, does this price sound like it's in the ballpark?

Thanks,

Eric

Re: 60's GP Gyromatic repair question

Kinda cheap.

Decent price. Go for it! AND POST PICS!!
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Decent price. Go for it! AND POST PICS!!
    agreed
    Omega the sign of Excellence since 1848. Jaeger Le Coultre Horlogerie de Luxe depuis 1833
    22 times Olympic games timekeeper, Nasa watch supplier and holder of several world records of precision, Omega has the world's trust
    Omega and Rolex for ever
    Eterna Nothing but Watchmaking since 1856
    Zenith Swiss Watchmaking and Chronometry champion since 1865

A belated follow-up to my original post... I ended up going with the $250 COA and the thing runs like a dream. They certainly knew how to make 'em in those days!

Marrick, 6omega and joeuk like this.

nice watch, I have a 70's gyromatic which is somewhat similar in styling. Its nice when we can get a good followup post like this with pics.

I've been wearing it for the past week while I have my Planet Ocean up for sale and it's shockingly accurate... seems to be 0 sec/day more or less! Also, you certainly get used to the size after a while...
    Eeeb likes this.

Nice watch and should be good for you now its had the service, I own both vintage and modern watches and the size difference as never bothered me its a refreshing change.

Properly serviced a good mechanical watch will keep very good time. IMO the reputation of them not being so accurate come from people wearing them for years and never getting them serviced now and then.

That sounds about right! I can't imagine the idea of preventive maintenance for watches would have been widespread back then. You wore the thing until it either met its untimely fate (my mother had an Omega that slipped off her wrist into a lake way back when), or it stopped working (as in this GP of my dad's). None of that 3-5 year service interval nonsense!

Thread Information